Digital frequency counter recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digital frequency counter recommendation

Hello,
Would anyone be able to recommend a moderately priced digital frequency counter that has a 10sec or longer gate setting? I have a counter, but it has a .1sec or 1sec setting only.
Thanks for your help.
Regards, Ken
Old 5th January 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello,
It looks like the H-P 5381A fits the bill.
Regards, Ken
Old 6th January 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapepath View Post
Hello,
Would anyone be able to recommend a moderately priced digital frequency counter that has a 10sec or longer gate setting? I have a counter, but it has a .1sec or 1sec setting only.
Thanks for your help.
Regards, Ken

I'm looking also at the better counters. The HP53xxA series sells on eBay for $100 and up. Likely over $200 before you get one on your bench in good working order. This is the best deal in meters right now. They do a LOT more than just measure frequency.

I'm currently, slowly setting up a GPS controlled 10Mhz frequency standard to serve as reference for above meter. But really if this is for audio work do you need to measure 0.01Hz?
Old 7th January 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a 5381A off of eBay for a little over $100.00. I might have it today if I get lucky. I need it to set the operating speed of a Revox A77 tape deck. It uses a closed loop tachometer circuit to control the capstan motor. The counter has to have a 10sec gate to give the reading, 1600Hz and 800Hz.
Cheers, Ken
Old 9th January 2011, 07:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The HP-5335A is pretty hard to beat, even a brand new Agilent isn't really any better. I have one as well as a 5342A counter and about a dozen other pieces of HP test gear. It's completely programmable, can do complex math, has a TCXO mastrer oscillator that is unbelievably stable, is extremely sensitive (25mv) and they even come with a volt meter and extended frequency range for more $$$$.... and best of all they can be had really cheap ~ 200 USD. It is an older piece from the 80's but the build quality of HP gear is hard to beat (impossible actually!). This basic FC cost ~3500 USD in the 1980's, the options drove the price up from there. Be sure to get one with the TCXO crystal oscillator in it!!

One for sale on Ebay... average price:
HP 5335A Frequency Counter 200MHz - eBay (item 390278656293 end time Feb-06-11 16:33:56 PST)

The manual is here:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/lit...5335-90021.pdf

Hope this helps... but remember buying HP test gear can be addictive...

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!