24Vac soldering iron on DC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 24Vac soldering iron on DC?

I want to iuse this iron on a couple of 12v batteries is this possible? DURATOOL|D00755|SOLDERING IRON, FOR ZD-912/6/7 | CPC

Thanks
Boscoe
Old 1st January 2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Banned

Probably not.

I can't find the basestation for this iron, but usually you set the temperature on the basestation. This means that there's some interaction between the iron and the basestation, i.e. there are more than two wires.

Have you thought about gas? I have a gas iron from Maplin that I like a lot, unfortunately now discontinued.

This one is on offer at the moment, but I can't recommend it purely because I haven't tried it:- Solderpro 70 Gas Soldering Iron Kit : Gas Soldering Irons Kits : Maplin

w
Old 1st January 2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have one of those but I fancied an electric one as it was only a tenner.
Old 1st January 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Banned

You might be able to get it to work, but it's a risk, and you'll have to fr*g around with it. Unless somebody else know this unit and can tell us different.

w
Old 1st January 2011, 10:50 PM   #5
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You have to use something like a Weller based on magnestat principle, there the regulation is built into the solderiron, and you have to change the tip for different temperatures
Old 20th January 2011, 12:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Since a soldering iron is simply a resistive heater, it will work equally well on AC or DC.

paul
Old 20th January 2011, 01:34 AM   #7
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Paul, pdul,
Check that!
Quote:
Since a soldering iron is simply a resistive heater, it will work equally well on AC or DC.
Sure, the heating element is, but the switch in a Weller will fail quickly when run on DC. Some irons use a triac to control the heating element as well (having repaired more than just a few).

Hi Boscoe,
Have a good look a the iron and the plug end. Can you supply pictures of both the plug and iron complete please?

Many of the Asian irons do run on DC, and they use a type of proportional / bang-bang control for the element temperature control. There are units I really like with the brand name of "Solomon". They kill Weller and Ungar products for performance and reliability, and they sell for less than $100 CDN here. That's with a fully variable temperature control and digital display (with real numbers even). There is a tempt set setting, and a tip temperature monitor setting. I calibrated mine.

My comment about reliability comes from owning and maintaining about 20 stations. Weller wasn't the worst of them, but they were anything but reliable. That darn switch assy cost enough! My Solomon is now over 16 years old, then it finally had a problem. I found the manufacturer, and they sent me a schematic for it!!!! It's now working perfectly again (now I've jinxed it). The iron connector was another failure point on the Weller stations, and > $120 a crack, no way!

If you plan on working on anything with ICs and small transistors, get the controlled temp station with ground. There are various tips for these (Solomon), so you're laughing. My fav. is the largest screwdriver tip. Marvelous for surface mount, and old radios both. If anything, they are cheap to own and use.

The thing to watch for on other irons is AC leakage currents. The inexpensive non-station irons are terrible for that. The Butane irons that wakibaki mentioned wouldn't suffer from that, but static from you is a possible problem. It can be with any iron, but at least the stations have a connection to ground where you can drain that energy. I always touch the metal chassis or ground point first.

-Chris
Old 21st January 2011, 12:38 AM   #8
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Sure, the heating element is, but the switch in a Weller will fail quickly when run on DC.
I bought my Weller TCP soldering iron back in 1987 or 1988. It's been operating on DC all the time I've owned it and is still going strong...

~Tom
Old 21st January 2011, 07:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Is the iron having two wires, then you can use 24 volts.
If the iron has four wires, then you cannot use 24 volts continueously.

I have a 24 volts weller temperature controlled iron without the controller. Connecting 12 volts to it, it is enough for small soldering jobs.

If you have a variable DC power supply, then you can try at what voltage the iron is hot enough.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:10 AM   #10
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I started using my Weller soldering station in 79 and by then it was already used for i dont know how many years. Since then the only repairs have been replacing worn tips.

Hide this!Advertise here!