Drill Press Help - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2010, 04:55 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
That might be reason to do some research, brother of mine. My mother is very sure my dad never made it to California and says she doesn´t know anyone from there.
Old 10th October 2010, 05:10 PM   #22
Seraph is offline Seraph  United States
diyAudio Member

Brothers finding brothers, this thread is starting to turn into a divine family affair Yall!

Hallelujah

Blessed be me brethren all over the world...

And thanks again for sharing the wonderful wisdom and resources...

seraph
Old 10th October 2010, 07:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Speaking of divine, the almighty forces of the universe must have been at work as I was just able to place an order through a local Woodcrafts for a Jet JDP-12 that had just gone on sale. The unit had to be ordered so I should have it in about a week during which time I can continue to exercise patience. Heck I will be so busy with lawn work I will not have time to wait!

Thanks again Tom and everyone
Old 12th October 2010, 07:11 PM   #24
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm curious to hear your review once you get the beast set up.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:55 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Finally picked up the unit and proceeded to drill a few test holes in wood and metal last night. Set up was straight forward. The unit has a high quality 5/8” chuck that allows use of .8 to 16 mm bits. The table, base, and column are of decent quality. The motor sounds smooth and quiet with very little vibration at about 1300 RPM. The down-feed travel is smooth and quiet unlike the other unit I ended up returning that was quite loud and rough. The laser needs to be aligned however it is really not needed as long as the work piece is clamped on the table and the hole center is marked. I am pleased with this drill press. The only things to mention that are really immaterial to the operation of the unit are the quality of the head cover and down-feed and speed adjustment handles which are plastic and not terribly impressive. The caps on a couple of the handles fell off during assembly. I ended up removing the caps from all handles and gluing them back on. They should stay put for good. The paint job on the head is pretty shoddy too. But again these things do not affect the operation of the unit and are to be expected from a decent unit that is currently on sale for only about $250.00. The unit is a joy to use and I can easily recommend it to anyone seeking a decent quality drill press at reasonable cost.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
Old 25th October 2010, 05:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Seraph,

I had to align the lasers on mine also. It's pretty easy to do. I think it took me an entire ten minutes... I agree with you on the quality of the handles. I initially thought of replacing mine with something better, but after a year-and-a-half of using the drill press I'd actually forgotten about it.

~Tom
Old 25th October 2010, 10:49 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I adjusted the laser in no time as you said--no finicky frustrating process as reported by users of other drill presses…I used the unit to favorable results this past weekend. Unit is very accurate.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:52 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

If you end up finding a source for better handles, please let me know. Even something as simple as a wooden ball with a 1/4" threaded insert would work. Or 3/8 or whatever the threads on the handle rods are.
Old 31st October 2010, 01:29 AM   #29
1MOR is offline 1MOR  United States
diyAudio Member

Something to remember, these drill presses are produced in China, and most are produced in just a couple of factories. Although the distributor, Sears, Jet, Ryobi, HF etc specify the look and color, the real problem is caused by the poor Chinese QC and failure of the distributer to run QC tests prior to sale of the product. The belts and chucks are of poor quality. The bearings and spindle fit are subject to whomever is punching them in and what day of the week the assembly is done. Some cures are possible, link belts to replace the V belts, better quality chucks and a thorough rebuild of the spindle/bearing assemblies. If you get a good unit right out of the box with minimal runout, you win!
Old 31st October 2010, 03:00 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
It´s not the QC beyond the pale, it´s millions paiid pennypinchers making craftsmen shelling out shoddy **** in vast numbers. Everything you can buy nowadays is iSomecrap.

Hide this!Advertise here!