Help me understand an oscilloscope display - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2010, 04:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help me understand an oscilloscope display

I'm not entirely sure this is the right forum, sorry if it's not.

I've been working on some circuit experiments, seeing exactly what I expected on the o-scope out of my breadboarded oscillator, fuzz & filter circuits. Today I hooked the output of my keyboard (Dave Smith Instruments' PEK) to the o-scope to get an idea of what voltage swing I should expect from a synth output.

What I saw was a funky waveform of 60Hz (so clearly related to power supply, right?) that was about 160Vpp. This was with no detectable output level, metered or audible, when connected to a mixer. When I brought the output level of the synth up to some nonzero level, nothing on the o-scope changed. Nor did anything change when I changed the oscillator shape. This remained when I turned the synth off, and only changed when I unplugged the cord from the output or unplugged the synth's (external) power supply.

Obviously I'm missing something I should know. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 28th August 2010, 04:42 AM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Make sure the ground is connected properly. You were probably picking up capacitive leakage.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:35 AM   #3
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracohr View Post
What I saw was a funky waveform of 60Hz (so clearly related to power supply, right?) that was about 160Vpp. Obviously I'm missing something I should know. Can anyone enlighten me?
yikes that's a lot of voltage.
60Hz usually indicates a measurement system ground loop. PS stuff is usually fullwave so 120 Hz is the norm. When looking at power supply stuff change the scope trig. source to <Line>.

Always use a earth / safety 3 prong plug at the scope, never 'float it' or defeat the 3rd wire. When you connect the probe gnd., that DUT point then becomes the only gnd connection.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Er...what ground? The synth's power supply is ungrounded, and the o-scope is grounded to the best of my ability (I don't know how it is beyond the wall outlet).

Edit: this was in response to star882's post.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracohr View Post
Er...what ground? The synth's power supply is ungrounded, and the o-scope is grounded to the best of my ability (I don't know how it is beyond the wall outlet).
good one gnd, keep searching, the 160V is coming from somewhere. Can you get a stable display and trigger off it?
Old 28th August 2010, 06:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
Exactly what I thought! But that's what it said.

Quote:
60Hz usually indicates a measurement system ground loop. PS stuff is usually fullwave so 120 Hz is the norm. When looking at power supply stuff change the scope trig. source to <Line>.

Always use a earth / safety 3 prong plug at the scope, never 'float it' or defeat the 3rd wire. When you connect the probe gnd., that DUT point then becomes the only gnd connection.
I triggered off the channel that was connected. I'll try Line next time. I did, however, try both the tip and sleeve connections of the TS connector, and both were the same.

The scope is grounded, through a grounded power strip. As far as the probe ground, perhaps I'm missing that. The only time I've connected a ground from the probe is when doing the scope's self-calibration, as described in the manual. Should I be connecting the probe ground to the ground connection of the synth output?
Old 28th August 2010, 06:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
good one gnd, keep searching, the 160V is coming from somewhere. Can you get a stable display and trigger off it?
It's triggered off the channel that's connected to the signal. The display is completely stable.
Old 28th August 2010, 06:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The only time I've connected a ground from the probe is when doing the scope's self-calibration, as described in the manual. Should I be connecting the probe ground to the ground connection of the synth output?
Reverse of that

Yes Every connection needs a return, so always use a gnd from the probe. Except maybe at the scope itself, ie at the cal. port.

Think about this for a second
So without using a probe gnd the scopes return path is only thru a long convoluted path > the pwr line.

Last edited by infinia; 28th August 2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 28th August 2010, 07:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
60Hz usually indicates a measurement system ground loop.

(...)

When you connect the probe gnd., that DUT point then becomes the only gnd connection.
Old 28th August 2010, 05:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Awesome, thank you! I get it now - the reason I didn't have a problem not using a probe ground on the breadboarded circuits is that both the scope and the circuits' power supply are grounded.

Now all makes sense in the world.

Hide this!Advertise here!