Tone generator output Voltage for amplifier measurement? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2010, 09:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Tone generator output Voltage for amplifier measurement?

Hello,i'm viewing this forum for whole years,really great work!

Since i want to measure an amplifier and i don't have a function generator i'm using my sound card to do that.

The problem is the following:

I have a lot of software tone generators set on 3db but i'm getting a different voltage from them.

For example if i set the NCH Tone Generator to 3db and the sound card to 100% i'm getting on the sound card's output about 445mV RMS,but if i use another tone generator i'm getting another number lower or higher.

The question is,how much Volts RMS am i supposed to have on the amplifier's input for a proper measurement? Is the correct voltage 2.87v RMS?

Also on the max volume i'm getting a stable AC Voltage,am i have to convert this Voltage to Volts RMS?

Thank you very much.
Old 28th June 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

insert a pot between the PC and the amplifier.
Use the pot as an analogue adjustment.
Arrange a -20dB switch (9k & 1k) that outputs just 10% (precisely) of the pot signal and then flick the switch to get full signal.
This is particularly useful when doing power testing when everything gets very hot very quickly.

I would aim for a maximum test signal of 2Vrms switchable to 200mVrms and then the pot to reduce that by a further -40dB giving a range of test signals from 2mVrms to 2Vrms

Keep the PC output near maximum all the time and don't go too high in frequency. The output is far from sinusoidal when frequency rises and digital attenuation is applied.
Old 28th June 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You just don't know how much i appreciate your instant answer! A big THANKS!

Hide this!Advertise here!