UNITRON Multimeters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2010, 09:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default UNITRON Multimeters

Are Unitron Digital Multimeters any good? I know that bringing up any multimeter other than the FLUKE is blasphemy but I really don't want to spend that kind of money for a tool which will find limited use. There's lots of Flukes listed on ebay but you really have to live on-the-web following auctions and you still will most likely end up paying $75 plus for it, if you are lucky. These Unitrons appear to be a good value and yes, I know that they are Chinese made.
Old 15th May 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nothing wrong with Chinese multimeters. I have a few and they agree with my Fluke, which I check with my voltage standard. All my meters agree.
Old 16th May 2010, 12:05 AM   #3
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Unitron does not seem to make multimeters.
Do you mean Uni-T / Uni-Trend ?
Old 16th May 2010, 03:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes. It's Uni-Trend...I stand corrected. Thanks.

Last edited by applevalleyjoe; 16th May 2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Error
Old 17th May 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

I heard some good advice from a guy who had an Uni-T multimeter, then I bought a 2042C DSO. It's nice and seems to be trusty stuff.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Harbor Freight has little meters for $8, and they are often on the coupon sheet for $1.99. I couldn;t pass it up. Seems to work fine. Cheap? Yes. But if you are not tossing it in the tool box and want to make an occasional reading, hey, it's two bucks.
Old 19th May 2010, 05:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have an old classic... a Beckman DM25L multimeter, it's about 24 years old and still works like a charm, I remember paying something like 225$ for it at the time. It's in my lab, right next to my Equus multimeter that I use for everyday things like line testing and batteries. I paid the Equus something like 10 bucks and it's a workhorse.
Equus Products, INC.

A fluke meter is certainly nice, and extremely well built, but the best bang for the buck is these inexpensive meters that range from extra cheap (China) to pretty good (USA) and can be had from anything between $10 and $50.

Whatever has the ranges and options you need is going to be perfectly fine. Personally, I don't like the autoranging models... I have one and seldom use it because it tends to jump from one range to another when you're close to its transition value so it's pretty hard to read, especially for frequencies and capacitance values.
- Robert
Old 19th May 2010, 06:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have several of the almost free Harbor Freight jobs and they are great. Input impedance on dc volts is 1 Megohm vs the 10 Megohm of the Fluke 73. They all agree, and also with my voltage standard that takes it an extra digit or so. I also have an ancient stepping switch EI voltmeter that is in three parts, rack mount. I should put it on the bench and free up the sticking relay in it. It's 5 digits on dc and 4 on ac. Uses those modern Nixie tubes.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

EEVblog #6 – Part 2 of 2 – Why cheap Chinese Multimeters suck @ EEVblog – Electronics Engineering Video Blog Podcast
Old 20th May 2010, 12:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

@star882: Thanks, this was a very informative video... I must admit that it did change my opinion about those cheap chinese meters... I see lots of them on the DealExtreme website and have been tempted to buy one as a spare... but after the arguments presented in this video, i'll think twice before doing so. I do have an ultra cheap ethernet cable tester from china ($8!!) and the solder work on this device is plain scary! I'm always surprized that it actually works, but it does!
- Robert

Hide this!Advertise here!