UNITRON Multimeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are Unitron Digital Multimeters any good? I know that bringing up any multimeter other than the FLUKE is blasphemy but I really don't want to spend that kind of money for a tool which will find limited use. There's lots of Flukes listed on ebay but you really have to live on-the-web following auctions and you still will most likely end up paying $75 plus for it, if you are lucky. These Unitrons appear to be a good value and yes, I know that they are Chinese made.

I have an old classic... a Beckman DM25L multimeter, it's about 24 years old and still works like a charm, I remember paying something like 225$ for it at the time. It's in my lab, right next to my Equus multimeter that I use for everyday things like line testing and batteries. I paid the Equus something like 10 bucks and it's a workhorse.
Equus Products, INC.

A fluke meter is certainly nice, and extremely well built, but the best bang for the buck is these inexpensive meters that range from extra cheap (China) to pretty good (USA) and can be had from anything between $10 and $50.

Whatever has the ranges and options you need is going to be perfectly fine. Personally, I don't like the autoranging models... I have one and seldom use it because it tends to jump from one range to another when you're close to its transition value so it's pretty hard to read, especially for frequencies and capacitance values.
- Robert

I have several of the almost free Harbor Freight jobs and they are great. Input impedance on dc volts is 1 Megohm vs the 10 Megohm of the Fluke 73. They all agree, and also with my voltage standard that takes it an extra digit or so. I also have an ancient stepping switch EI voltmeter that is in three parts, rack mount. I should put it on the bench and free up the sticking relay in it. It's 5 digits on dc and 4 on ac. Uses those modern Nixie tubes.

@star882: Thanks, this was a very informative video... I must admit that it did change my opinion about those cheap chinese meters... I see lots of them on the DealExtreme website and have been tempted to buy one as a spare... but after the arguments presented in this video, i'll think twice before doing so. I do have an ultra cheap ethernet cable tester from china ($8!!) and the solder work on this device is plain scary! I'm always surprized that it actually works, but it does!
- Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.