diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   small hole circle router jig, with pictures (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/166515-small-hole-circle-router-jig-pictures.html)

tinitus 7th May 2010 11:49 PM

small hole circle router jig, with pictures

I have long been missing a jig for smaller drivers, and finally I made one

I havent tested it yet, but I suppose it works ok

tinitus 7th May 2010 11:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more details

:)

pjp 8th May 2010 02:21 AM

Your photos are too small to see. :confused:

tinitus 8th May 2010 05:20 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjp (Post 2179672)
Your photos are too small to see. :confused:

I will try to make them larger

tinitus 8th May 2010 06:29 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Ok, :)

kavermei 10th May 2010 12:49 PM

Hi,

I made a similar jig for small holes too. I find that it works fine until you get below a diameter of 10cm or so (think amplifier front panels). Then I prefer a hole saw in a drill press.

What's your experience with routing <10cm holes?

Kenneth

tinitus 11th May 2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavermei (Post 2182053)
Hi,

What's your experience with routing <10cm holes?

Kenneth

I tried it yesterday, and it works like a charm
You only need a few stop and go, with grip changes
Practice a bit, and you can do it in your sleep

Mind you, I usually dont take more than a few mm depth at a time

tvrgeek 30th December 2011 07:06 PM

I have built a couple of hole gigs with a sliding bar with the pin brazed in it. Next time I think I'll add a threaded adjustment rod over the bar for more precise adjustment. I just make a baffle panel using a Jasper jig. My only complaint is it is in 1/16 increments and we really should have at least 1/32 inch. It sure is easy to set up and trust the numbers.

thaumaturge 30th December 2011 07:15 PM

Using a collar and an oversized overlay template works very well, as well. Can get down to very small hole size. Maybe use your jig to cut some themplates?
Doc

cyclecamper 30th December 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaumaturge (Post 2840073)
Using a collar and an oversized overlay template works very well, as well. Can get down to very small hole size.

That sounds like what I use for recessed cabinet handles and jack plates. No stopping to change grip, as the router handles remain positioned the same as I route around the template. Of course, that also works on non-circular shapes. Changing collar size or router bit size changes the offset and thus the size of what's being cut.

I make my templates, then I drive two slightly longer small-diameter brads thru the template with my air-nailer. That secures the template in position for the first cut. For subsequent cuts I just lay the template down and tap it in place with a hammer to set the thin brad pins again without noticeable damage (after filling and painting the teensie holes).

For larger shapes, I should have made my templates larger with broader flat areas for the router to sit on, which makes it easier to keep the router vertical without tipping.