Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2010, 04:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Oscilloscope/probe question

hello.

Sorry if my questions a bit nave.

I just bought a Beckman Industries Circuitmate 9020 oscilloscope for testing the DCO's on a broken snythesizer.

I think I'm looking for a 10x passive probe with high bandwidth and a BNC connection, but is there anything else I need to take into consideration?
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:44 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, you want to consider the probe's rated bandwidth and the expected load (especially the scope's input capacitance). Not all 10x probes are compatible with all oscilloscopes.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Banned

You don't say what frequencies are involved, are we talking RF or audio synth?

A 10x probe makes the picture height 10 times smaller. Is that what you really want? I don't think the DCO outputs are likely to exceed the scope's own voltage rating.

Looking at the scope it's only 20MHz. In many instances a piece of 50 ohm coax terminated with a BNC plug at one end and 2 crocodile clips at the other is perfectly adequate. Strip about 6 inches (15cm) of the outer co-ax sheath. Make a hole in the outer braid, bend the cable double at that point, and pull the inner out through the outer to leave a pigtail to which one of the croc clips can be attached. Connect the other croc clip to the inner and fit the BNC to the other end according to the instructions. Professional labs unually have a couple of dozen of these lying around.

w
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A good 10X probe will give you the bandwidth your scope is capable of. A piece of coax, while very useful for many things, will limit the scopes bandwidth due to capacitance and incorrect termination. For audio work, just about anything will work, and clips on the end of a piece of coax are handy. For digital, RF or anyplace you need high bandwidth and properly square square waves, you need a 10X (not 1X) commercial probe. (or you need a 50 ohm termination, but only if you're working on a 50 ohm system, lest you load the c*** out of higher impedance systems)

Conrad
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have some nice Hamegs that are switchable 1x or 10x, which is quite useful.

Hide this!Advertise here!