Old test gear - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2010, 05:21 AM   #11
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
One caveat is that most modern hi-fi equipment is better than most older distortion analyzers. You really need both a distortion analyzer and a spectrum analyzer (PC is fine) to learn anything very useful.
Yes and no... A lot of modern HiFi is hard pressed to beat the 0.002 % THD+N floor of my HP 8903A. And if you build tube amplifiers as I do, then the older gear is just fine.

But I do second your opinion on having a spec an available. Or a wave analyzer.

~Tom
Old 20th March 2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes my 334 is spot on as far as a 334 can be. Dont get me wrong it is very very useful, just not as feature packed as I would like ie. having to guess at distortion below 0.02%. The only thing that was out was that some monkey had swung on the frequency dial and wrenched it round on the shaft, funnily enough when I lined it up with the original dimples from the grub screws it was spot on.
I now have a PC in the w/shop and need a decent external soundcard for measurements. Or possibly a good A/D converter to plug into the S/PDIF input. A real spectrum analyser would be my preference but finding one for a decent price is hard. A wave analyser is also an option. Ian Bell, the chap who very kindly gave me the 334 uses one. Does make stuff long winded though. The PC has a definate place in test and measurement these days.

Cheers Matt.
Old 6th April 2010, 05:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi, guys.
This is my first post here..

The subject drew me right in, as I have an old HP 330B distortion analyzer that needs some recapping and a 6sj7 to revive it.
Does this thing have any usefulness in our modern day, or should I just part it out for the trannys, chokes, etc?
I'd like to get it running, but if it really is just a boat anchor at this point, the components could serve as a starting point for a sweet guitar pre..

I'll also vouch for the odd ancient 'scope.. I've got an HP 1710a opt h50 that I picked up cheap at a hamfest that's been humming along for 15 yrs.. It was last calibrated in '89 and and is still pretty much bang on.
The connectors do require the occasional clean/wiggle, but I've heard that is par for the course with the older HP scopes.

BTW, can anyone tell me what OPT H50 means?

Pete.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:44 PM   #14
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proyschmitt View Post
BTW, can anyone tell me what OPT H50 means?
It probably says in the service manual what it is...

~Tom
Old 7th April 2010, 05:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
It probably says in the service manual what it is...

~Tom
Holy cow!
Thanks, Tom!

I wasn't aware that they'd finally posted some information about that beast!
For *years* I've been checking to see if they'd get around to freeing up some documentation, and I guess I'd given up hope!

This is just too cool.
Thanks *ever* so much!

Pete.

Hide this!Advertise here!