Woofer Tester 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody used the new 'Woofer Tester 2' USB kit and willing to offer any feedback for or against.

Woofer Tester 2

I'm really after something to get me started testing components with, that will still come in 'handy' later.

This seems like equipment I can afford and understand and I haven't found anything like it in oz.

With the Ozi dollar as is it seems like a reasonable price, or am I missing the point?

Cheers
Dean

Honesty. S&L developed a fine tool, sell it very inexpensively, and provide good support. I have a personal bias against someone copying it and screwing them. One should reward an honest business or they will go away and we won't have tools like this.

Well you have no guarantee the chinese version works accurately or uses good grade parts.

Funny... I didn't notice any guarantee or mention of good grade parts on the WT2 details page.

Looks like we're stuck on personal bias, rather than technical facts. It's a shame really...

So other than supporting a different foreign company that didn't intially develop the tech. What motovation is there to spend the extra $60...?

I do understand the personal sentiment towards helping out the little guy over the evil PartExpress corp. But frankly, they (PE) could call it the "WT Altimo 6000" for all I care.

Funny... I didn't notice any guarantee or mention of good grade parts on the WT2 details page.

Looks like we're stuck on personal bias, rather than technical facts. It's a shame really...

So other than supporting a different foreign company that didn't intially develop the tech. What motovation is there to spend the extra $60...?

I do understand the personal sentiment towards helping out the little guy over the evil PartExpress corp. But frankly, they (PE) could call it the "WT Altimo 6000" for all I care.

I guess if you live in Canada they are in a foreign country.

Harris Technologies, Inc.
P.O. Box 622
Edwardsburg, MI 49112-0622
USA

These guys were engineers at Texas Instruments and the design was based on a TI chip. Is TI "good parts"? I would imagine at least as good as the parts used in the Chinese version. The problem some of us have is the knock off used the same name as the original, and that it is a knock off.

The HT unit does several things that the PE doesn't, or didn't when I checked things out. Maybe they have copied the software by no so they really are the same, I don't know.

I guess an Electrician wouldn't have any intellectual property to be stolen, so you don't know what it feels like. Lucky you. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if another Electrician undercut your prices by 30%, and advertised themselves as you. It is only about the lowest price for the customer.

I guess an Electrician wouldn't have any intellectual property to be stolen, so you don't know what it feels like. Lucky you. I'm sure you wouldn't mind if another Electrician undercut your prices by 30%, and advertised themselves as you. It is only about the lowest price for the customer.

A "guess" is the best word to describe your generality about my trade, and the assumptions you've made about what I have done/do. I used to get undercut by far greater margins than that by things coming from overseas my friend. Anyone with the license I carry can advertise themselves as an Electrical Tradesman. So I know exactly what it feels like...thanks.

I perfer facts over chest thumbing.

Shame you couldn't resist the urge to throw a stone at someone asking for a straight forward answer. Pathetic really....

Thanks to tvrgeek and richie for useful replies without the personal attacks.

Last edited:
okie dokie

well i'm a believer that theft of intellectual property should be avoided. but i have no qualms about purchasing from someone who took an already existing idea and made it better (hence made it 'different' and not just a mere 'copy') but i will always pay a premium to the innovator to encourage more innovation. To me its a matter of principle.

this doesn't apply to things that are in the public domain or true commodities where i think true competition is the rule of the day.

now i wish more corporations would do significant discounts for DIY and educational needs. that would make some of the more advanced tools accessible for the casual user -which i think in the end benefits the innovator. Many innovators underestimate the network effect of a social network and the positive impact it has on business over the medium to long term in building loyalty and establishing innovation networks to further refine and advance the product.

The HT unit does several things that the PE doesn't, or didn't when I checked things out. Maybe they have copied the software by no so they really are the same, I don't know.

I got the PE version last year. the software is different. the ones who made the software also made trueRTA IIRC. and yes, there are things that the WT2 can do that the PE version can't. like measure capacitance. or I haven't explored it that well? :D

Sooooo, lol.

Was the unit I linked from HT the real deal? I assume the real power of this unit is in the software and its ease of use?

I'm hoping to ease myself into testing with tools that can still be used later on.

Did trueRTA (Ozi?) write the software for the PE version or the HT joby?

Cheers for the input gents. This still seems like a great all in one way to get allot of the info I need for loudspeaker design.
Please correct me if I am misleading myself or could buy a better (read: more functions/easier to use/similar price???) unit.

Dean

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Please correct me if I am misleading myself or could buy a better (read: more functions/easier to use/similar price???) unit.

Well, if you are able to put it together (basic soldering skills) there is THIS.
Less money, more functionality as it works with a few free speaker testing softwares. Just plug in a mic with preamp to do frequency response testing.

Well, if you are able to put it together (basic soldering skills) there is THIS.

True enough, but you'd have to deal with dialing in SpeakerWorkshop....yes/no?

I personally like the HOLMImpluse SW, but I guess I should try out SpeakerWorkshop before I go and buy another piece of testing equipment. :eek:

Steve: I regret not being able to edit my eariler comments.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
True enough, but you'd have to deal with dialing in SpeakerWorkshop....yes/no?

I personally like the HOLMImpluse SW, but I guess I should try out SpeakerWorkshop before I go and buy another piece of testing equipment. :eek:

Speaker Workshop has a bad rap and is easier to use than most people think. I may start a thread showing just how easy it is to get Speaker Workshop up and running to measure driver specs, passive components, and frequency response - HOLMImpulse is a bit easier for frequency response purpose but the point is you can use my jig for all of this, even accelerometer measurements as shown on my 3-way thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.