Playstation One Modifications for HI FI CD Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I recently acquired a first generation playstation 1 scph 1001. I am contemplating replacing the laser mechanism with one from a later model scph 9001. The 9001 model doesn't skip and I'm hoping the laser can read discs in greater detail and improve it's soundstage. I've also been contemplating modifying the output stage as shown here articlehttp://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

Current Status

I recently replaced the laser on my 1001 with one from the 9001. Sounds better (fuller sound stage) and it doesn't skip anymore. Although with every solution comes a problem. I noticed now when I plug into my receiver using the AV multi out I get an audible hum, which doesn't exist when I plug in through the RCA jack's. I tested it by plugging in both at the same time and switching receiver channels. The hum doesn't get in the way of the music but it's noticeable when paused. What's most odd is that it didn't exist before the laser swap and it is not the result of the laser swap since it still existed when I tested the 1001 laser with it. I must of touched something accidentally that is causing this.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am still interested in improving the sound quality but am unsure which modifications to take on if I still want to use the AV Multi out. Also I want to build my own case so I can create a mini CD turntable. Any idea of what materials are optimal or where to get them. If I make a straight box of some thin mahogany will Ventilation be an issue?

Thanks for your responses

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.