PC Interface - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 09:33 PM   #1
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PC Interface

Following the nifty interface project, and the frustrations of my setup, I have concluded the E-MU 1616 to probably be the best match. It seems to have current top of the line A2D and D2A's with very decent mic preamp specs. With a set of 1X and a set of 10X probes then SoundEasy should be completely happy from line level to 200W. No need for input decade switching or overload clamps. I monitor with my meter anyway. Overkill for my speaker work, but meets the times-ten quality requirement for looking at tube amps. Bummer is I need to buy a new OS, as it requires 64 bit, and I run 32 bit XP pro. Sigh, Win 7 I guess. Does this sound reasonable? Price is a lot, but if it works, cheaper than fooling around with more half-way solutions.
Old 11th January 2010, 09:42 AM   #2
ghg is offline ghg  Austria
diyAudio Member

Well, I run an E-MU 1616m + PCI adapters and XP pro 32bit, no problem,
but I hate patchmix ...

Good luck

Gary
Old 11th January 2010, 05:45 PM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

if you want lower cost, arguably better performance look at esi juli@ - less features, lots less cost
Old 11th January 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Much thanks. Yes, cost is a concern, but not as much as doing it correctly this time. As I do both electronic measurements and speakers, the .000-something levels of distrortion that the big boys can do is important to me. $500 for a converter is not so bad unles it does not do what I need, espically if I wind up buying a new PC and OS. Suddenly that starts looking like money! I will check out esi again. Can't remember why I passed over it the first time. Maybe it was not remote, as my PC in in my desk and my test bench behind me. Started looking at the M-Audio 610, but the e-mu is 10 times less residuals for the same money.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I Remember now about the esi. Yea, internal cards. The MAxIO is more the form factor I need, but not for $2K.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Confirming the good news from ghg:

All E-MU audio interfaces products are both 32-bit and 64-bit OS compatible and are full-time 24-bit audio devices when using the most recent drivers from our website.
E-MU products are meant for music and audio creation, we have very limited support for using our products in all non professional audio software such as testing/analysis software.

Beyond the better converters that the 1616M has, it also has additional I/O capability and very flexible signal routing capability.

So no new computer, and no new OS. Now, 1616 or 0404. Need to sleep on that.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:09 AM   #7
ghg is offline ghg  Austria
diyAudio Member

Just a teaser

E-MU 1616m - balanced loopback
Attached Images
File Type: png EMU1616m_Gen-24dB_IO+4dB_sym.png (44.0 KB, 123 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!