Recommend decent table top drill press?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a basic imported Delta 8" drill press a while back. It was really for just one job, where I needed to hole-saw, drill, and tap a 3/8" steel plate. Although the motor got hot, it sawed through the steel just fine. Drilling the holes was no sweat. I haven't needed it since, but it's small and light enough to fit on a shelf out of the way.

The single biggest problem with this drill press is that the table is not easy to adjust, and on the small side.

Compared with a handheld electric drill, this seemed like great value. On the other hand, a larger drill press, with a rack-and-pinion table adjustment will be much nicer to use in the long run. I sort of wish I'd spent a bit more (or waited for the right sale), but then it wouldn't be as easy to store. Even if I owned a bigger drill press, I'd likely still keep this one on the bench with a Unibit or 1/8" bit for making quick random holes.

Anyway... I suspect the 8" model won't be as useful as a bigger one with more features. Unless you just build mini-monitors.

At least around here, if you have a truck or van (or a willing friend who'll do it for a pack of his favorite brew), there are some great deals to be had with all kinds of shop tools that people are getting rid of, you could probably pick up a floorstanding one for not much more than that.

You will find they are all made in China, and use the same castings. BUT, big difference in machining and quality. I recommend the Delta, but the Sears is only one step down. (I have one) Check how much play is in the quill, how many speeds, if the chuck is quality and so on. The Sears has a nice rack to move the table up and down. Some don't tilt. Motors are cheaper, and even looking at the pulley's, you can see differences. Lots of " great deals", but with tools you don't get what you don't pay for. Depth is important. Some of the smallest ones can only drill in about 5 inches. Some have very limited quill movement so drilling inside a box is harder. Bigger the better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.