I want to record nature sounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Forumers! I want to be able to make really good recordings of nature sounds for my ambient listening pleasure. Does anyone know what kind of equipment I need for this, besides just recording with my iPhone or something? I want the quality to be terrific and I want to be able to get rid of wind noise completely. Having directional ability would be a plus too, such as using some kind of parabolic, directional mic (or making one myself). Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Rockworthy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Parabolic mirror plus cardioid microphone or gun mike in dead cat to get rid of the wind noise. You could probably improvise a parabolic mirror using an old satellite dish, then buy a half reasonable cardioid microphone and decent microphone pre-amplifier (or make the pre-amplifier yourself).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Zoom H4 Digital Audio Recorder

I have used the Zoom H4 recorder with XY-type condenser microphones built in. On the highest gain setting it will pick up casual conversations of people across the street (200 ft away) or birds without need of a parabolic dish. When used walking in the woods you feel like you are really there when replaying it. However it is non directional so you will get the true 3d sound as it appears to your ears and feel immersed. There are also two external microphone XLR or 1/4-in jacks for input with your own mike (like a shotgun). Sound can be saved in non-compressed 24-bit 96kHz, or any level of compression and quantization to mp3. Sound quality is very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.