Radio Shack 33-2050 Sound Level Meter - Service - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
MartinQ is offline MartinQ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Radio Shack 33-2050 Sound Level Meter - Service

I have a Radio Shack (Realistic) 33-2050 sound level meter that is on the blink and it looks like something is wrong with the analog meter itself. The schematic on Eric's site is a bit hard to read (http://mysite.verizon.net/tammie_eri...50/rs_spla.gif), but it looks like the meter is rated for 135 uA and 2k ohm. This one measures in the megaohms and putting a 9V battery across it (9.22V) only provides about 15% movement on the needle.

The only markings on the meter are TEC M-700B. The card inside is printed 700B-91 (assuming that means 1991).

Any suggestions (except 'get a new one') would be great. I would hate to put down a good piece of gear especially after it's been cleaned and all the contacts coated with DeoxIT. I was just getting ready to swap out the capacitors as described here:

RS SPL METER (33-2050) MODIFICATIONS
Old 29th December 2009, 11:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found a slightly more readable schematic that was uploaded by Salas in an old thread.
SPL meter corrections?

So, it looks like the 2k ohm meter is in a voltage divider with R19 (82k) for the battery check circuit. That means I should be getting full-scale deflection with less than 300 mV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS 33-2050 Schematic.jpg (70.4 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by MartinQ; 29th December 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 30th December 2009, 01:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, if the meter was good before, putting a battery across it is guaranteed to burn it out instantly. My guess is it will be near impossible to find a new meter for the thing. The only distant hope is that the meter developed a bad connection somewhere that you might be able to find and fix. It's a very distant hope. Use a magnifier and inspect any wires and coils you can see for breaks or oxidation. One *never* checks a uA or even a mA meter without putting a large resistor in series with it.

CH
Old 30th December 2009, 01:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Conrad, yes I understand the meter should blow by having 9V put across it. I was trying to find out why I could not get any significant deflection on the meter, even for the battery check (2k/82k voltage divider with a 3k load across the battery). Like I said, the meter measures in the megaohm range so putting 9V across it has little effect.

I'll try to post some pics, but so far everything tests out as I stated. I can get the meter probes right down to where the tabs connect with the coil, but it's still reading 1-3 megs. I can't see the wire connections with the bare eye, so I'll see if I can get some macro photos to post.
Old 30th December 2009, 04:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A few pictures of the TEC M-700B meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4064cs.jpg (145.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4066cs.jpg (259.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4084cs.jpg (420.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4083cs.jpg (193.0 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by MartinQ; 30th December 2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice photos & you have as good access to the coil as you're going to get. About all I can suggest is reheating the joints where the wire attaches, otherwise the open must be in the coil somewhere. Try to get it under a low power stereo microscope- when working with hi-fi always try to use a *stereo* microscope. If that doesn't work, I'd look for a meter movement from whatever you can find, and try to adapt it to the case. If it's the same sensitivity or more, you can just scale it with a resistor. If less, more fiddling is involved. Probably sacrilege, but you could also make an adapter plate and put in one of the little inexpensive digital meters various places sell.

CH
Old 31st December 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I pulled the coil out to have a better look at things. Even with it out, it's impossible to see the coil connections with the naked eye so I did some snooping with a cheap USB microcam. I managed to get some up-close visuals on both ends of the coil, but I can't detect any problems or see the actual connection. I think a proper microscope would definitely help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16c.jpg (393.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 21c.jpg (380.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 17s.jpg (216.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 11s.jpg (212.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by MartinQ; 31st December 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!