diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   I need a DB meter please. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/157508-i-need-db-meter-please.html)

gadgeteer123 29th December 2009 05:19 AM

I need a DB meter please.

Does anyone have a DB meter I can buy or trade for that can read to at least 150db??

Mooly 29th December 2009 07:19 AM

Decibels are ratios, not units :)
Decibel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gadgeteer123 29th December 2009 07:20 AM

??- I'd just like one that can read that loud so i can test my systems at home.

Mooly 29th December 2009 07:25 AM

You mean a sound pressure meter (SPL) like these, some are quite cheap new,

Your Search Results | CPC

Anything over 95 to 100 db is "loud" for a domestic system... 150 db... that's like standing a couple of meters from a jet engine with the afterburners on... and you would be deaf :)

dhaen 29th December 2009 07:26 AM

Are you talking about sound pressure? In which case dBA is a common ratio.
I really think you should look up the meaning and relevance of your question:
Sound pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or in simpler terms:
About Decibels (dB)
Then think about the value you have asked for...

Mooly 29th December 2009 07:26 AM

Look at these examples,
Sound pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gadgeteer123 29th December 2009 07:32 AM

I am talking about the db rating they use in SPL competitions, and my stereo can hit 140-145db so thats why i need it to go atleast that loud.

Mooly 29th December 2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgeteer123 (Post 2027578)
I am talking about the db rating they use in SPL cometitions, and my stereo can hit 140-145db so thats why i need it to go atleast that loud.

:) Pardon

tvrgeek 3rd January 2010 02:56 PM

If you hit 145 dB, don't worry, you are probably half deaf already. 135 dB peaks is enough to cause irreversible damage with half an hour. ( Please refer to the OSHA site) Just because you can jump off a cliff, does not mean you need to.

I believe they use calibrated instrumentation mics at the competitions. They cost more than your stereo and car but together. But if you must, just back off a few feet using a generic cheap SPL meter and do the math.

dangus 12th January 2010 01:46 AM

Low frequencies are much less harmful than 1 kHz. The weighting curves reflect that. Otherwise you'd be deaf from a slammed car door or swimming underwater.

Some strain gauge pressure sensors can be used as microphones up to very high SPLs. I remember reading that in a Sensym application guide. 150 dB SPL is only about 0.1 PSI. 170 dB is about 1 psi.

If you have one lying around, try the sensor from a barometer or altimeter, a MAP sensor from a car EFI system, or one salvaged from some medical instrument.