Sound level meter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Leolo is offline Leolo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Sound level meter

Good evening, gentle folk,

I have in mind a few projects that would require a sound power level meter: Sound proofing a room full of computers, building a power amp and speakers, writing a PC white/pink/sine generator and spectrum analyser.

I don't need a high-end expensive meter. But it would need to include calibration data. The Radio Shack 33-4050 would be ideal... but RS is no more in Canada. And the replacement (La Source) only has a digital meter.

Question : should I insist on getting an analog meter? Or is a digital meter just as good/better? I find a digital VOM to be a tad annoying; waiting that second or so for the display to update.
Old 26th December 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
SteveW is offline SteveW  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SteveW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolo View Post
Good evening, gentle folk,

I have in mind a few projects that would require a sound power level meter: Sound proofing a room full of computers, building a power amp and speakers, writing a PC white/pink/sine generator and spectrum analyser.

I don't need a high-end expensive meter. But it would need to include calibration data. The Radio Shack 33-4050 would be ideal... but RS is no more in Canada. And the replacement (La Source) only has a digital meter.

Question : should I insist on getting an analog meter? Or is a digital meter just as good/better? I find a digital VOM to be a tad annoying; waiting that second or so for the display to update.
I don't have any experience with digital SPL measuring equipment - but, for the reasons you cited would be skeptical until seeing one work.

Sometimes analog is best. For general purpose SPL measurements I use a Simpson model 885 which is analog with a single meter and in the same class as the Radio Shack 33-4050. For more specific measurements, I use a Samson 31 band graphic RTA.

Can't you go online and order from Radio Shack?
Old 26th December 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

I have that RS meter and it is ideal. I would insist on a needle movement. Why not order it? The meter can be calibrated, but does not come with a calibration certificate, you would have to send it out.
Old 29th December 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I use a hand held Quest at work- entirely digital. The display is great and includes a 1/3 octave spectrum analysis. The problem is, they're darned expensive. Still, based on that, a well done digital display should be fine. I have an analog RS meter at home and the digital is every bit as readable, if not more so.

CH
Old 6th January 2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Leolo is offline Leolo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Can't you go online and order from Radio Shack?
As far as I can make out, they won't ship to Canada.

Hide this!Advertise here!