Best USB or Firewire Interface for Speaker Testing? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best USB or Firewire Interface for Speaker Testing?

I'm hoping to get some user feedback on which USB or Firewire interface device to buy to direct sound into my MacBook Pro for speaker testing (frequency sweeps, etc). I am using an Earthworks M30 measuring microphone with an Earthworks pre-amp/phantom power supply. Naturally, the USB or Firewire interface should, as best as possible, provide a signal that is true and not colored.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Echo Digital AudioFire2.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:46 PM   #3
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Black Gate,

I use an M-audio Fast Track Pro over USB, with Speaker Workshop, and it performs very well. They have great mac support too (driver wise).

There's a built in phantom supply and mic preamp, as well as balanced out and input and 24/96 sampling. I use it everyday as a sound card, and it works great for measurements when I need it for that.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 13th November 2009, 11:36 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I bought an Edirol FA-66 to use with my Macs.

EDIROL FA-66 24Bit/192kHz FireWire Audio Capture :: Overview

If i had the budget i'd have gotten a Metric Halo

Metric Halo Mobile I/O ULN-2

With all the pro Firewire interfaces i see no reason to limit yourself with a USB device.

dave
Old 13th November 2009, 11:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Last time I checked out firewire for a windows laptop there were problems. The Presonus Firebox just couldn't do glitch free audio for more than a minute or so. Tried half a dozen firewire PCMCIA cards but it never worked. Maybe I should have gotten a new laptop as well

<edit> see your a maccie so no prob's then.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

But Iain, he has a proper computer

BTW "Mr Gate", are you getting FuzzMeasure to go along with the rest of your kit?

dave
Old 14th November 2009, 12:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions to date. I will look further into these devices.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
But Iain, he has a proper computer

BTW "Mr Gate", are you getting FuzzMeasure to go along with the rest of your kit?
Well Dave, I am not certain yet. I've tried the demo version of Mac The Scope by Wavebox and soon plan to give FuzzMeasure a shot. Any recommendations?
Old 14th November 2009, 12:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Generally speaking, is Firewire 800 superior to USB 2 on a Mac? That is, should I be looking at a Firewire interface over USB?
Old 14th November 2009, 06:25 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gate View Post
Well Dave, I am not certain yet. I've tried the demo version of Mac The Scope by Wavebox and soon plan to give FuzzMeasure a shot. Any recommendations?
Mac-the-Scope is really more suited to electronics (granted my copy is the OS 9 version and the new version is likely more versatile -- no budget to afford an upgrade). Wavebox is a really good signal generator. The company is ChannlD (a really nice guy, i met him at AES 1999). I think his breakout hit may well be Pure Vinyl.

Fuzzmeasure is more aimed at speaker applications. I've not got a Leopard machine yet, so still use 1.3.5 for impedance/TSP and FM 2 for FR measures.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!