Linkwitz Mods On Panasonic WM61A Mic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2009, 01:08 PM   #1
teleman is offline teleman  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Linkwitz Mods On Panasonic WM61A Mic

Hi,
I have wired both the 2 wire & the 3 wire versions of the "Linkwitz" modifications on 2 Panasonic WM61A mic capsules.

However I don't quite understand the topology behind of these two methods of wiring.

1.Can someone please explain the topology behind these two different wirings?

2.Which one of these would give,
a.better noise Spec
b.higher SPL
c.lower sensitivity

Thanks.

3 Wire "Linkwitz" mod wiring
Attached Images
File Type: gif 3wirelinkwitz.gif (5.2 KB, 926 views)
Old 15th August 2009, 01:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the 2 wire "Linkwitz" mod wiring
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2wirelinkwitz.gif (5.2 KB, 801 views)
Old 15th August 2009, 02:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They are both a source follower configuration.
They give identical results. The second version needs only 2 wires but , the capsule case is "hot"
at + 9 volts. That's OK for battery powered applications where a positive ground can be used.

Cheers.

ZAP
Old 15th August 2009, 04:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you Zap,

If you look at the schematic of the 2 wire Linkwitz mod, only the -9v battary/ dc suppy is used to "bias" Pin 2, ie:source with a 10k
resistor, with both the drain - pin1 & the case/ring tied together to ground along with the + batt. terminal.In other words 2 wire mode will work only on -9v supply!

In the 3 wire mode..it's the Drain-pin1- which is supplied with +9v d.c voltage!(hot), pin2 as a source follower & casing to ground (0v)

In both instances the case is grounded. I, have perhaps misunderstood your statemant.

I've actually tried both & as you've mentioned they seem to "sound" the same!That's why I wondered if both modes would exhbit the same ele/ sound characteristics or not regardless.

Cheers.
Old 15th August 2009, 05:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I loaded them on gyrators, without any mod. The best signal/noise I could obtain from them. However, the next stage needs to have JFET input in such case.

But for less distortions on high SPL it is better to load them on a stable voltage, i.e. to use them cascoded.

One good option is, to use them modified, loaded on base-emitter of PNP transistor, with feedback to source of it's internal FET.
Old 15th August 2009, 06:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teleman
Here's the 2 wire "Linkwitz" mod wiring
Just in case anyone wonders why you can't just flip an unmodded capsule (JFET's are symmetric) there is an internal diode on the gate/source not shown.
Old 15th August 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guys!
I've already tried both versions on a non inverting buffer, two stage preamp & both modes work nicely.I just want to know if one Linkwitz mode is better than the other.ie:2 wire or 3 wire? If so I'd love to know why!

Since my preamp is running on +/- 9 volts (2x PP3 battaries) it's no problem to switch biasing or modes.
Old 15th August 2009, 07:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here is a diagram that shows the various methods for connecting internal fet electret capsules. This might help visualize this stuff.
I have found no measurable difference between either of these wiring configurations. (figure c and Figure d)

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers

ZAP
Old 15th August 2009, 07:54 PM   #9
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How do people deal with soldering to the cases of these things? They're tiny! My first attempt at this worked by sheer luck but my second capsule took a lot longer

(Built a linkwitz mic preamp a while ago, haven't played with it for a long time)
Old 15th August 2009, 08:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwill
How do people deal with soldering to the cases of these things? They're tiny! My first attempt at this worked by sheer luck but my second capsule took a lot longer

(Built a linkwitz mic preamp a while ago, haven't played with it for a long time)
I bisect the pad with a fresh XACTO blade then you can solder three wires more easily. I use #30 wire wrap so the insulation does not melt away.

Hide this!Advertise here!