oscilloscope kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
henryr is offline henryr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default oscilloscope kit

I am trying to find an oscilloscope kit to build. After much searching I found a 2 channel, PC based- not using a sound card- kit for a build price < $100.00
Does any one have any experience with this kit, or can recommend other possibilities?
Thanks
Here is the link:
http://www.pdamusician.com/lcscope/index.html
Old 17th June 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

heneyr
I haven't used this specific item but, ----- It falls in the catagory of way better than nothing. If cost is the driving consideration, then it offers a lot of bang for the buck. If you are building or repairing in the audio relm, there is great value in having at least some kind of scope insturment. That being said, if you can be patient, and can afford 200 300 dollars, you can find a dedicated used Tektronix on E-bay that will do soooooo much more.
Old 18th June 2009, 04:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Kit

Heres a link to a chinese manufacturer:

http://www.jyetech.com/en/default.html

regards, Jonas
Old 18th June 2009, 05:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have the jyetech scope kit, it is pretty cute, I even added a lithium ion battery and integrated charger / boost converter to it to make it portable.

However, it's usefulness is limited by the awkward user interface, buggy triggering, small screen size, and lack of external trigger or second channel.

For $100 the kit you posted a link to looks great. I may even consider it myself.

For a bit more, there's hobbylab's scope, with logic analyzer and spectrum analyzer features.

A higher bandwidth old analog scope is useful to track down oscillations too, though I rarely use mine and would purchase it after I purchased the computer based one.

-David
Old 18th June 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Heathkit!

Too many years ago I bought a bunch of Heathkits, including a very very (very) nice oscilloscope. I do'nt remember model number. The other Heathkits were a signal generator, benchmultimeter and a very expensive but very well functioning FM-reciever Kit with digitally synthesized tuner, probably the Worlds first! I surely miss the old Heathkits!

regards, Jonas
Old 18th June 2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

The jyetech is simple and fun. Not the most useful thing ever, but it gets a surprising amount of job done. I'd still recommend going for something better though, it's definitely worth the money.

Hide this!Advertise here!