Calculation of frequency-triggering - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2008, 12:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Calculation of frequency-triggering

I attend a music technology school, and I need to deliver in some papers tomorrow, answering several questions. I have problems understanding this one, however, and was hoping for some opinions:

"We usually describe sound in 3 dimensions. Time (s), Level (dB) and Frequency (Hz). How many milliseconds does it take to start the vibrations in a pianostring, in a trumpet-tone and in an organ-tone?"

1. I don't really understand the question here, cuz I don't know if the startpoint of the calculation should be upon the impact of the piano-key, or when the piano-hammer hits the string within the piano.

2. The trumpet is a littlebit easier, as it starts (I believe) when the first breath of air comes into the chamber. Then it's a matter of finding the frequency-response of a trumpet, and calculating the speed of sound together with the periodic swing, and the length of the chamber. However, I don't know the amount of reflections within the chamber before the sound reaches the end, so it seems impossible.

3. The organ-tone is also very absurd to me, as it's produced by electric signals. So I have to calculate the time from the triggering of the electricity, until the actual reproduction of sound from the internal speakers.

Hmmm...though one, this. I have no idea how to approuch it what so ever. Help :redface:
Old 27th November 2008, 06:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe they are referring to the wavelength, and amplitude in relation to the resonant device's physial size.

For the organ, I understood it to mean pipe organ.

Hide this!Advertise here!