Decent table saw - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Decent table saw

Hi all. I'm looking in to getting myself a decent table saw and since I know nothing about them I thought I'd look for some input.

One thing I know I want is the ability to do bevel cuts and a sliding feed seems like a good idea. I'm willing to spend a fair amount, but at the same time don't want to go overboard. Really I'm willing to drop over 1000, but not if I can get what I need for 500.

The main thing that is important is accuracy. It needs to be able to make perfect cuts (assuming it's properly aligned and operated) every time. The very limited experience I have with table saws suggests it can be quite easy to come away with innacurate cuts and even cuts that aren't square, though that could have been the fault of the operator.

I'm aware you can get laser guided saws... is this a really useful feature or not? It's hard to know how well it works without ever having used one.
Any other features I should be looking out for/brands to avoid etc

Many thanks
Old 30th April 2008, 12:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Okay, simple question to start, do you want an easily portable site saw, or a relatively immobile cabinetmakers type?

:edit: Oh, and lasers are a gimmick IMHO.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th April 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Pinkmouse describes what we refer to here as "contractor saws" vs. "cabinet saws". If you aren't going to move it, a heavy cabinet saw can't be beat. Even a very good contractors saw can do a fine job if it has a good fence system. IMO, you should invest a significant portion of your funds in a good fence system. I believe there are also some excellent European multifunction saws with sliding guides, though they can be quite expensive. Fine Woodworking magazine tests table saws now and then, if you can find a copy.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hit google or the yellow pages... bet you can get a nice refurbished monster of a machine...

I see your budget is OK, but for other readers... avoid those $100 to $150 saws... once the motor dies (which it normally does in a year or so) it can not be repaired...
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:48 PM   #5
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hi valleyman,
Have a look at DeWalt flip-over table saws, I think you can use it as a cross-pull and table saw (don't ask me the model number though). Maybe Makita would offer something similar aswell.
Thanks
Gareth
PS I agree with pinkmouse in that lasers on a saw are an absolutey great steaming pile of poo, keep lasers for CDplayers oh, and StarWars, and the worlds a happier place ;-)

Hide this!Advertise here!