Signal Generator Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm building this circuit:

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page82.htm

What do you suggest to use on the output of this circuit?

I would like to be able to attenuate the level and perhaps even double the output level. How to do this without affecting the low distortion performance?

Looks like it was designed to put out a fixed 1VRMS signal, according to the notes: The 10K trimmer must be set to obtain a 1V RMS output.

Thanks.

D5 stabilises the output voltage by feeding back into R9.

If the TL084 were replaced with a higher voltage rating opamp then you could run this circuit at the voltage supply limits of the 5532/5534 of around +-21Vdc.
I suspect you could get around 2Vac from this and retain lowish distortion. You may be able to get much higher.

How much will distortion increase if the variable resistors do not track particularly well?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have an unused Op-Amp in IC3. You could buffer/amplify the output with this. Do you have instructions on how to couple the LED to the LDR, try and use similar parts to the original here, this is an old (but good) design.
Karl

Thanks for your replies. After posting, I realized there is a spare op amp as you mentioned.

What do you think regarding the attached circuit?
Gain of 2 should suffice.

cap couple to be safe. if i use 220uF and the output pot is 10K,
cutoff frequency should be around 14hz?

the notes mention to seal the led and ldr in light free enclosure. I was going to face them together and use heat shrink tubing.

Attachments

• tl084 gain 2.jpg
    tl084 gain 2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 179
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, Not exactly, but nearly what I had in mind, you dont need the pot at the output of the buffer. You can set the level with the original pot. Taking the output from the wiper gives an ill defined output impedance. If your feeding a capacitive load the output from the wiper will fall with frequency. If it were me I would add a 600ohm (330 + 270) in series with the output to give a low standardised output impedance, and this will give some protection to the Op Amp if you inadvertantly connect the output to a voltage source. Again if it were up to me I would not A.C. couple.
Regards Karl
Edit, Untill you know the output swing from the oscillator you can't really set your feedback resistor, alternatively when it's all working you could replace the feedback resistor with a switched attenuator to give known values such as -20db and -40 db, could be very useful.

Hi Mooly,

Thanks. I will take out the cap and 10K pot. I didn't like the frequency falling either.

I wonder why the note says you MUST adjust the 10K pot for 1VRMS.

I'll add the 600ohms in series with the wiper of the 2.2K pot.
Looks like the 2.2K pot is to adjust the frequency.

you switched attenuator on the feedback is a great idea. Once I build up the circuit I tweak the output.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
O.K. Back to the original circuit, and P2 is just like a volume control allowing you to set the output from zero up to the level that is on pin 7 IC2B. The signal on pin 7 is constant and, if you have a 'scope (you need a 'scope) you will be able to see the effect of setting up R7. This 1vrms (remember the 'scope will show peak to peak, not rms ) will be an optimum value for the circuit, probably where the distortion is lowest. 1volt rms on P2 wiper will be the maximum output with the pot turned up. Your buffer is added after here, like shown on your circuit. P2 still sets your output, but the output from the 600 ohm source (pin 14 of your buffer) is much better defined. The output impedance is now constant and 600 ohms is low enough for an audio generator for most purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.