SMD Rework Stations Reccomendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sooner or later i am going to have to break down and buy some equipment to work on and repair amplifiers that have SMD's.

So i have started looking at various stations and tweezers and hot air whatzits on eBay just to familiarize myself with some of the gear.

I would like to hear what you guys use, or recommend.

I will be doing mainly repair work. so i would imagine i need tools to remove and replace SMD's

In the past i have done the solder wick and pry the device off method but i am looking for something that will work on the smaller components too.

I saw a device that was essentially an electric tweezer. it looked like the ends would heat up and you would use it to remove a SMD.

But there seems to be more of these hot air systems. But most of those look too big. I might be able to see removing a large ASIC or something with those but for smaller stuff??? am i missing something???

I really liked the Pace PRC2000 when I used to work in the industry, but I don't think you'll be too thrilled with the price.

As for removing SMD parts, almost all of that was done with the electric tweezer tool. We'd stick the right tips on the tool to fit the part being removed, then remove the part and clean up the pads with the vacuum tool. Some of the odd parts (can't think of any at the moment) would require the hot air tool to remove, but that was pretty rare.

aerius said:
I really liked the Pace PRC2000 when I used to work in the industry, but I don't think you'll be too thrilled with the price.

As for removing SMD parts, almost all of that was done with the electric tweezer tool. We'd stick the right tips on the tool to fit the part being removed, then remove the part and clean up the pads with the vacuum tool. Some of the odd parts (can't think of any at the moment) would require the hot air tool to remove, but that was pretty rare.

Well eBay is a wonderful thing! sometimes if you know where and when to look, you can find amazing deals. Plus i know of several industrial auctions that deal with electronics so you never know what may just turn up for a few $$$

I thought a SMD Tweezers would be what i should buy first. seem to make sense but i thought i would ask first. I think the hot air stuff is for the larger IC's and what not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.