Cheap router, worth it?

Hello, welcome to my first post on this website.

I'm contemplating my first real DIY speakers, and it seems like a router is a good thing to have for this. Otherwise I will be cutting my holes with a jigsaw. However, I'm somewhat hesitant to just buy a Porter-Cable or something, when there's a chance it won't really get used again. I currently don't have room for a router table, either.

So I've seen some cheap routers. Are they usable for non-heavy work, like the cutting involved in making speakers (cutting holes and insets, possibly rounding edges)? The ones I've seen specifically are:

Ryobi R161K, $59 (1.5 hp)
Craftsman 17504, $49 (1.5 hp)
Craftsman 17574, $59 (1.5 hp)
Skil 1823, $63 (1.5 hp)
Chicago Electric 1hp/$39, 1.75hp/$60

Another option is to use a router base on my rotary tool, but I'm unsure how suitable this would be, and I can't seem to find the router attachment for the RTX tool anyway.

Any advice out there? I've used a router before, but not much...

TIA!

Have you thought about renting a router if you are only going to use it once.

With a router the main thing is the motor. A Cheap router with respect will have a cheap motor. Although the motor may say it is powerfull wich it probably is it will not run smoothly(this will give a bad finish). I have been told that a good router will normaly cost £150 (roughly $210)

Cutting through wood with a router is considered heavey duty usage since you can only make on pass. Unless you first cut a hole with a jigsaw and slowly cut away the rest with the router.

In my opinion it would be best to rent a router if you can since you are only going to use it once.:)

Well, there's a chance I would only use it once. There's also a chance that once I get the first project done, I may be hooked and I'll be doing new stuff every other month.

Renting's probably a good idea. At least it will give me an idea as to whether it's something I need or not.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I used a handheld jigsaw/sabersaw to cut my woofer holes, and the thin blade I used tilted to one side creating an angled cut.This is invisable once the speaker is installed, but pretty ugly inside. If you use a circle jig with a router (more money or you can make one) you won't risk my problem.

Cheap router worked for me

When building my sonosub, i used a really cheap Black and decker router with a homemade circle jig. The router was a hand me down from my dad, so to make him happy i still use it and havn't bought a better one.

It's a 1/2 horse with a 1/4" collet and it worked great for cutting the 8 circles in mdf that i had to do, with that said i also had good bits and took my time, only making no more than 1/4" deep cuts at a time and didn't push the router too much.

It worked really well, alot better than i had expected. Didn't think it would be that dusty though, started inside but very quickly took it outside

So yes a cheap router will definatly do the job for you as long as you use good bits and don't overload the motor.

If there is an option to buy a plunge router BUY IT, these things are worth their weight in gold, and really make things easier.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I have a couple of £30 routers, one fitted with a laminate trimming bit and one with a 1/4" roundover. They are so cheap it's great to just leave them with the one bit installed, then you can just pick them up and go, without fussing around changing bits. As Topgun said though, don't waste money on cheap bits, the finish will suffer.

However, I would not be without my 1800w 1/2" router for the real meaty stuff!;)

Pinkmouse is exactly right, a couple small laminate trimmers are far handier than a big, heavy router, much easier to just pick up another one, than to change bits.

Over time, you will spend much more on bits than the router itself.

For a first router, I would recommend the Craftsman, it'll have a replaceable base, so you can make your own, for large roundovers. You could also make it into a small table set-up. Also it'll have all the safety features you'll want until you're comfortable using it.

MDF cuts and finishes easily.
If you get a small one, you can take some of the abuse off the bearings or bushings (the parts that wear out), by using smaller cutting tools like 1/4 inch straight or pattern-maker's bits.

Buy only carbide tooling and keep the bearings oiled. Sharpening is done with diamond abrasives,.... that's the use for the Dremel tool!

I don't know how others do it, but I flush-mount (recess) drivers, by using a slot-cutting bit.

Rent one? Naw, you'll find all sorts of new ways to use it.

I cheap one will break, not cut straigh, or not well, a cheap one can break and scuff your work. Not worth it trouble it will make for you and your hobby imho.

Put it this way. I burned out and broke two new ones (router's, and a bunch of other things). Ever since that an 'old' Milwake has outlasted the both. It does everything its supposed to, and its reliable. Kiji! $30. It matches my belt sander and my jigsaw. I love my electric hand tools. Very, very much.

Go with the Ryobi R161K , trying to manipulate a laminate trimmer without any previous experience might be a challenge. It will take many passes and each pass has the chance of error. The cost will be as much or more than a router.
I think it would be rather easy to sell the router after you use it , especially if you spend money on a "Carbide Bit". High Speed Steel Bits will not stay sharp very long cutting MDF. The laminate trimmer is a more specialized tool used by Pro's that
have tools they prefer. Might be difficult to sell it, and get any money for it. I know for a fact, there are many more types of router bits for all of the cuts you may encounter building speakers. Laminate Trimmers are made for one task, to trim the
edge of glued on laminate.

Cheap tools tend to break easily, if not handled with care. Cheap tools might work sometimes if you know some of the tricks of the trade on how to use the tool correctly. You will have to buy accessories to complete the package, that better quality tools are usually packaged with. Bottom line is there is usually no cost savings.

To top it all off, after completing that first pair of speakers, you will be listening to music one night after about 20 beers. All of a sudden you will notice a crooked edge or some blemish that has never appeared to you before. You gain enhanced "Clarity of Vision" after 20 beers. You lean over to the wife and say "I can fix that" Out to the shop you go to build another set of cabinets, because you have "TOOLS"

Ask Me How I Know :cool: