"Audio" Oscilloscope features - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2003, 12:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Audio" Oscilloscope features

If I were to buy a scope for audio circuit testing purposes, what would you recommend ?

pc based vs standalone
what would be the must have features for audio circuit analysis ?

Let's limit the budget please. If the scope would cost as much as a Pass amp, I'd buy the amp instead.

Gert
Old 13th February 2003, 12:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: "Audio" Oscilloscope features

[QUOTE]Originally posted by timolien
[B]If I were to buy a scope for audio circuit testing purposes, what would you recommend ?

pc based vs standalone
what would be the must have features for audio circuit analysis ?

Let's limit the budget please. If the scope would cost as much as a Pass amp, I'd buy the amp instead.
-----------------------------------------------

Get an analogue with as wide a badwidth as you can afford; making sure it is in good condition.

Unless you have loads of money, digital/computer based scopes have limited dynamic range 8 to 12 bits and the spectrum analysers are not really good enough. A good sound card (24/96 and not Creative) and Cool EDit will give you good spectral analysis ability.
Old 13th February 2003, 12:36 PM   #3
Banned

Do a forum search "Oscilloscope" or so. There are at least 2 threads about this.

I took an old TEK7000. Also an 465 or so should be fine
Old 13th February 2003, 01:22 PM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

NOT PC-based. You want 2 channels, and >10MHz of bandwidth. These can be picked up S/H for 100. However, if you pay a little more, (200-250) you could get a Tek 465, which is a proper oscilloscope, and has 100MHz of bandwidth. If you're serious, go for a 100MHz Tek.

I paid 4.25 for my first oscilloscope (the 25p was for the optional mains lead). It was made by Solartron, and was a two-man lift.
Old 13th February 2003, 01:46 PM   #5
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

The first o-scope I had was a Tek 555. Another two man lift and two trips too. This one had a seperate power supply chassis which had 24 tubes providing the regulated voltage for the main chassis. The scope tube was a dual beam tube and you could plug in 2 dual trace modules for quad trace operation. The scope was about 75 lbs. and the power supply was over 100 lbs. 13amps. @ 120VAC power requirement. State of the art in 1960.

Later
BZ
Old 13th February 2003, 02:06 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I saw a 555 a couple of years ago for 10. We needed a 'scope trolley at work, so I bought the whole ensemble, and charged work a fiver for the trolley, scrapped the scope for the valves and transformers, but kept the manual. Good value for a fiver.
Old 13th February 2003, 02:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

you would spend as much on a decent PC scope as you would on a TEK machine in very good shape. Tektronix does have a PC Based option, btw, Gage Instruments, but tres cher!

I've owned about a dozen scopes -- I really liked my TEK 453 - 50MHz bandwidth, little cousin to the 456 -- it cost me $50 with cart. I have also used the 5XXX series, but these are real boatanchors, serious low noise scopes. I would avoid the TEK 2215 as the CRT mechanism is really fragile -- not a good scope for an undergraduate physics lab as I have said here before. I had one in and it cost me as much for a CRT as the scope, but after that it worked fine.

With regard to bandwidth -- the tradeoff is (as mentioned a few minutes ago on another thread) you start to delve into the realm of probes which approximate the cost of a scope.
Old 13th February 2003, 08:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A 50MHz dual channel will get you far. As will a delayed timebase.

For audio work, rise time may not be the most important, but high sensitivity is.

Use a HP180D myself, 25kg. Dropped it once, made a dent in the carpet but the scope is fine Also have the manual and a second one for spares.
Old 2nd September 2003, 11:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Eico?

I have a line on an Eico 450...but I've had trouble finding specs for that model. Would it suffice for basic audio work?

Assuming yes, what should I pay for that model?

thanks

/andrew
Old 3rd September 2003, 01:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I were to buy a scope for audio circuit testing purposes, what would you recommend ?
Id go for a Tek series 7000. This are IMO the most universal scopes ever made. There are all kinds of plug-ins avaiable, from general purpose, ultrahigh sensivity differential, storage, to highest bandwith.
With the according plug-ins You can convert it to a sampling scope, spectrum analyzer, curve tracer etc. etc.
The nice thing is You can begin with the required basic equipment, a mainframe, a universal purpose Vertical-Amp and Time-Base plug-in and You can buy and upgrade later to whatever You need or want afford.
You`ll find hundrets of series 7000 mainframes and plug-ins on ebay - and they are dirt cheap meanwhile.

Hide this!Advertise here!