Broken drill bit in chuck - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2007, 04:42 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Broken Drill Bit

If the drill bit is of reasonable diameter you might consider tightening up the chuck and drilling into the stub with a smaller diameter drill. Most steel bits are hardened only at the end, so the shank is reasonably soft and can be drilled with HS steel. If you can drill a hole in the shank stub, then you can either glue in a wire and pull out the stub or tap the hole, insert a screw of the appropriate diameter, and pull out the stub.

I have used an arc welder to stick a welding rod onto a broken spline and pull it out that way. Similar to the capacitor trick, but with a more controlled curent source.

Good luck.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:06 PM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Conrad: Three ways I can see. The third way is the best, bringing the barometer to the building superintendent and telling him that he can have that nice, shiny, new barometer if he'll tell me how tall the building is.

That welding idea is pretty slick. I'd have to find someone with much younger eyes and hands to do it for me.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

One method I don't think I've seen published- the barometer probably has a nicely polished glass window to protect it. Move around until the sun is just next to the building and reflect it off the barometer window. Tilt the barometer until the reflected spot is on the base of the building. Now, move the spot up to the top of the building. Measure the angles of the barometer, and distance to the building, then calculate the height.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:24 PM   #14
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Broken Drillbit in Chuck

Hi gajanan

I'm afraid superglue will run everywhere you don't want it to go. Other than the neat tranny trick, shoving it out with a piece of shimstock sounds a better idea. How's about using the blade from an NT cutter to scrape it out? Recommended NT cutter model # A300. Is the chuck's collar captive?

IF the chuck was ally, you could have tried leaving it in some nitric acid for an hour or two. The acid will act quickly on the steel drillbit, leaving the ally not too chewed.

bulgin
Old 14th September 2007, 04:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Using superglue would definitely be a risky process, as it will stick to unwanted places.

I have canada balsam, as a substitute to superglue, in mind, if cap discharge welding does not work. I will have to experiment on another drill bit to try its needs.

Presently, the chuck is not with me and it is Ganesh Chaturthi Festivities from tomorrow. It belongs to another institute few kms away.

The building height issue...
May be a gravity difference measurement between bottom and top should be easier, assuming that the gravitational force reduces as u go higher.

Have fun

Gajanan Phadte

Hide this!Advertise here!