diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   Makita Drill (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/108015-makita-drill.html)

TroelsM 5th September 2007 08:04 AM

Makita Drill

2 Attachment(s)
Hi.

What's the opinion on these (older) cordless Makita drills?

A few years back they were popular in repair-shops (right?).

I would guess that this model is at least a few years old?

The one in the picture has no torque-setting but has 2 speed settings. It's only 7.2V but with low speed that should be OK for small-medium screws.

I know that the battery probably is not-so-hot, but with two batteries and a fast charger that won't be a problem for hobby-use.

Regards TroelsM

pinkmouse 5th September 2007 08:10 AM

I had one of those for years before it was nicked from site. Great drivers. Don't worry about the 7.2V rating, it likely has more torque than most DIY 18V units. Oh, and you can still get the batteries from Makita dealers.

TroelsM 5th September 2007 08:30 AM

Thanks for the fast reply Pinkmouse.

What's the price for a battery-pack in your part of the world? Here in Denmark the battery cost approx 80-100% of a complete new drill.

Regards TroelsM

pinkmouse 5th September 2007 09:16 AM

Yup, list price is expensive. Your best bet is to find a "trade" tool repair/distributor place that will do you a deal. I seem to remember paying about 35 for the one I had to replace, (was dropped from height - they don't bounce! :))

TroelsM 5th September 2007 09:21 AM

A quick guess would be that list-price for a standard (2Ah ?) battery-pack in Denmark is approx 80$....

A Sub-D cell (3300mAh) is approx 8-9$...

All in all it's to expensive to buy "old" battery-tools when the batteries are sold at these prices. ( - a bit like cheap inkjet-printers... )

Regards TroelsM

pinkmouse 5th September 2007 09:26 AM

I've never tried it, but it should be possible to build your own pack using those Sub- D cells. I saw a circuit on the interweb ages ago that showed how to build a spot welder out of cheap caps to make up the connector tabs for battery packs for RC cars.

Also, I wouldn't grudge the cost of a pack for a decent driver like that, a cheap one yes, but that should give you years of service.

:edited for content.

TroelsM 5th September 2007 09:49 AM

Oops. It's Sub-C NOT Sub-D! My bad.

I've soldered connector-tabs to these sells and if you got the right (BIG!) solder-iron (Weller, type 9, flat, big) it should work.

There's of cause always a chance that you'll "cook" the cell...

Regards TroelsM

OzMikeH 5th September 2007 12:32 PM

I've had success lightly filing the ends of the cells and using solder braid to link the cells.

There are cheap non-genuine batteries available too. the ones I have used for 9.6V makitas last longer than genuine ones.

Magura 5th September 2007 10:41 PM

You can buy the sub-c cells with solder tags, in any RC model shop at a favorible price.

My guess would be it would set you back like 40 USD. The real cheap solution is to go and buy an el-cheapo cordless drill from a home improvement shop...that would give you two sets of cells for like less than 40 USD.

Magura :)

planet10 5th September 2007 11:43 PM

I find my 4.something V Makitas invaluable as powered screwdrivers.

dave