tools of the trade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2003, 12:16 AM   #1
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Default tools of the trade

what tools is everyone using? my living situation is going to change for the much better. (from large apartment complex to a house where i will have basement and garage for hobbying), and i plan on buying some tools for speaker building and other stuff of course.

on a budget, but still wanting decent stuff (willing to pay extra for better quality of course), what are some good buys, or some pieces that go a long way for projects? table saws, drill presses, etc... any better places to shop? im completely ignorant with tools becuase ive never had the place to be able to have them.
Old 5th February 2003, 12:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Some of the tools are here: Useful tools and techniques
and here: Minimal tools for Audio DIY
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th February 2003, 04:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks peter.

ive seen this "rotozip" thing advertised around a lot, and it looks very versatile. could be used as a dremel tool, but becuase of the side cutting bit, looks like it would work perfectly for cutting holes in baffles, as well as port holes. is this a good tool? i picked one up at the hardware store (not bought it, just messed with it), and it felt good, and looks like its got some power behind it.

for a newbie, it looks like a versatile tool that could go a long way.
Old 5th February 2003, 05:07 AM   #4
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by cowanrg
ive seen this "rotozip" thing advertised around a lot, and it looks very versatile. could be used as a dremel tool, but becuase of the side cutting bit, looks like it would work perfectly for cutting holes in baffles, as well as port holes. is this a good tool? i picked one up at the hardware store (not bought it, just messed with it), and it felt good, and looks like its got some power behind it.
I would save your money for a router. I find this the most important tool that I own. The bits that I use for it are: laminate trim bit (for trimming edges on cabinets, making up for not exact cuts), roundover bit (for making nice edges on cabinets) and my straight cut bit, which I use with my circle jig for cutting perfect port hole.

--
Brian
Old 5th February 2003, 05:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I also think that router is the most important tool for woodworking. You dont even need a table saw, because HD can make cuts for you.

While I never used Rotozip tool , somehow I don't trust those kind of devices.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th February 2003, 05:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

what does home depot charge for cuts?

(sorry for the newbie questions, but ive never lived in anything but an apartment, so this is all very new to me!)
Old 5th February 2003, 05:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

In my area they don't charge anything. And if you keep an eye on the operator, the cuts are pretty accurate.
Old 5th February 2003, 05:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

wow, very cool. i actually have a client that works at home depot, and one at lowes. unfortunately they dont work in that department though...

i feel bad saying "hey, can you cut me this this this this and this" even if im buying the material, but if that's what they do...
Old 5th February 2003, 05:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

i guess one other question while its on my mind, are cheaper drill pressed worth it? (in the $100 range, or a little under that). i think it would be GREAT for chassis and for cabinets. and after reading a lot, it seems like a great tool. ive seen some decent looking ones for around $100, is this a wise investment, or hold off for a better one?

for instance, something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=12579
Old 5th February 2003, 05:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is actually what I'm using for years. I was always thinking about upgrading to a bigger one, but somehow this one is good enough for all my needs and not too big, so other machines can fit my bench as well.

I also recommend buying a band saw, for metal cutting, (my first one was under $100) and a belt sander. Both are necessity for metal work, yet they can be bought pretty cheap, especially when used.

I'm using a special disc on my grinder, made of some sort of fibers, which is perfect for deburring. All machines are connected to central vacum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop.jpg (66.3 KB, 153 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!