Calculators - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2007, 03:11 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Don't forget the HP-16C "Computer Scientist" calculator
I bought it in 1985.
I still use it.
Replaced the batteries last year.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th August 2007, 07:37 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

It was sad when HP became Agilent.
Old 9th August 2007, 08:51 PM   #23
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I was in college in the early 70s, We had a lab set of the very first hp45's,-- our lab supervisor guarded them with his life.
No wonder , cause they were well over 600$ each in 73!!!
Old 9th August 2007, 09:09 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

My 80's vintage Sharp. Not particularly clever, but it's big enough not to lose under a pile of wood shavings in the workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calc.jpg (53.8 KB, 259 views)
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 9th August 2007, 09:58 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

This is the CASIO CM-100 solar powered programmers calculator.
It came out in 1986.
I got 5 of them in 1987 as closeouts for $2 each.
Two were stolen by other programmers.
One melted.
I still have 2 that function.
Old 9th August 2007, 11:03 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

The HPs will always be my favorites, but when it comes to cheap calculators for the machine shop and such, Sharp makes some pretty good ones. Not as sleek as the old EL-507, but the recent EL-506W is nice. I picked up one of the popular TI calculators they sell in the office stores for students, and hate it. Math is hard enough for students without an annoying calculator. They seem to have the market sewn up, as the Sharps have to be mail ordered around here.
Old 9th August 2007, 11:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

this is the plug-in end of the HP-41 -- as I said, it is my second, being a HP-41CX -- I used the securities and financial pak back when everyone's idea of a personal computer was an Apple II+ with 48k of memory -- you could price CBOE options in seconds.

it would take hours to do a simple network analysis with the circuits pak. i had the statistics pak at one time but found that all i really needed was pretty simple.

my first electronic calculator was a Bowmar -- it used to give wrong answers when the batteries ran low.
Old 28th September 2007, 10:04 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Conrad -- remember this one from 1980? I used to play with one at the McGraw Hill bookstore on Avenue of the Americas -- i believe it cost around 2 grand at the time -- the next lower rung was the HP-67 (a few years before the HP-41)

Old 28th September 2007, 10:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah! I did quite a lot of programming on one of those, and they have the worst feeling keyboard of all time. OTOH, they're a pretty good machine for little control and lab applications. About two years or so ago I ditched one or two on the surplus market for cheap, including the memory, gpib, and manuals. Several people showed up later quite upset, as they're collectible, and sometimes sell for far more than IMO, they're worth.

BTW, on that photo above, I notice that you don't have the fame, fortune, or hot babes plug-in modules. If you ever get those, remember not to install the second two at the same time. They're not compatible, and will crash the unit.
Old 29th September 2007, 06:23 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The 1st calculator i ever used was some big HP my dad brought home from work (HP45 mentioned above? cost & timing would be right). My 1st one was an HP25c, but left that in an ex's glovebox. I then got an HP11, but killed it, i now have an HP30-something that probably needs new batteries. I had an HP 12 emulator under OS9 and now use FreeRPN. The built-in OS X calc can be switched to RPN, but the stacks don't work quite right.

That last link to the HP67 emulator is much appreciated.

PA... maybe Apple's Java interpreter works better?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!