AVO tube tester spares

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
First, let me tell you that taking apart one of those thumbwheel assemblies and reassembling it is not for the faint-hearted. I took apart and reassembled an assembly from an earlier tester...

I don't have the old assembly and my VCM163 to hand, so I can't confirm that the thumbwheels are the same. They might be. What you could do is to take the thumbwheel assembly apart and move the broken thumbwheel to a less frequently used position such as pins 12 and 13. You might even be able to glue the broken thumbwheel back together while you're at it. At the same time, you could give the internals of the thumbwheel assembly a good clean. This will enable better contacts and reduced friction will mean you stress the thumbwheels less as you use them.

Before you do all this work, I'd check that the rest of the tester works.

EC8010 said:
First, let me tell you that taking apart one of those thumbwheel assemblies and reassembling it is not for the faint-hearted.

You bet I do know!!! I've been in the business of ancient electronics life prolongation for more than 30 years............:D

Does this mean that you might have one or two spare sections??
The old switch was swapped for a row of pin connector, which works of course, but still look kind'a silly!
Does it work ? - I don't know! I used it some 20 years ago, and it was OK then. It needs some touching up, for sure, but right now my home work desk is completely covered in house renovation tools and stuff!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.