RADFORD - Low Distortion Measuring Set

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I badly want a distortion analyzer and I found this thing a while ago. It is still collecting a lot of dust in a pawn shop and I think I should buy it, even just for heck of it. I looks to be mint condition and I could get for $50.

It is a Radford LDMS2-2 and the meter indicates distortion meaurment to 0.03% full scale. I think it would be a suitable piece of kit for a beginner like me? Made in the UK by, I believe, the same Radford folks that built amplifiers? Did they even sell these things or was it for Radford use internally I wonder?

It runs off two 9 volt batteries! I could change that easily? I guess it was portable but I don't know why.

Does anyone have a manual for it?

Cheers,

Shawn.

Re: Radford Oscillator Link ...

torroid88 said:
Here is a link to a piece of Radford Equipment - a Very Low Distortion Oscillator ...
Link:
http://www.amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/other/radford.htm
No manual or schematic though ...

Thanks for the link! I had some corespondance with that chap a while ago when I first saw the Radford a few months back. He directed me to one of the engineers that worked for Radford but unfortunately I never could make contact with the guy.

Thanks for keeping an eye out. :) Perhaps someone out there does have some info?

Cheers,

Shawn.

I bought it

I purchased the Radford for $50.

Attachments

• radford_a.jpg
    radford_a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 362
If that manual also contains the schematics, I would be very interested in seeing a pdf of that manual, as the oscillator appears to be among the very best..........

and Tom - I think you should seriously concider getting those batteries, as they probably plays a rather important role in keeping the noise floor all that way down. ( Rechargeable 9Vs could be another way...)

AuroraB said:
I think you should seriously consider getting those batteries, as they probably plays a rather important role in keeping the noise floor all that way down. ( Rechargeable 9Vs could be another way...)
and completely isolate the charging system, including ground, before connecting the analyser to the circuit under test.
Maybe a TRS jack plug & socket that prevents insertion of input/output plugs until you've disconnected the charger.

Even the face plate looks worth $50.

I have some equipment that uses a bunch of #246 9V batteries, a bit smaller than your behemoths. Curious, I carefully opened the bottom of the box to see what was inside. Amazingly, there was a little circuit board with the exposed terminals on top, a couple perfectly standard 9V batteries plugged into terminals on the bottom, and a wood spacer to take up the rest of the space! You probably won't be as lucky, but I can now just plug new 9V batteries into mine, which is about 10X cheaper than buying new #246 batteries. I didn't know one could parallel batteries, but if the voltages are matched, it obviously works. Might be a way to run your unit, as it would probably exhaust the normal size batteries very quickly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.