Tube testers which is the best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since we here seem to have a love for tubes I'm under the impression that there might be some opinions regarding tube tester performance. Which is best for what we do? Do we absolutely have to own the most expensive brand and model? Is stocking up on various models for future windfall a good idea?

How about a tube tester discussion?

First of all, when we say tube “tester” what we really want for DIY is called a tube “analyzer”. The former usually refers to a simple emission tester (go-no go) while “analyzer” refers to a device that measures mutual conductance (now called transconductance or gm) under closer to real operating conditions, as well as measuring many other tube parameters. The former was useful for quickly finding the culprit tube in a broken TV set. The latter is used to more fully characterize a tube’s performance, and can assist in tube matching. That’s what we want for DIY.

Aside from rare and bulky laboratory reference analyzers, what most people seek is a “suitcase” analyzer. Hickok was the dominant brand.

Everyone has his favorite “tester”, probably the one he owns! I have experience with the Hickok 539B/C, the Hickok 752, the Triplett 3444, and the TV-7 military units. I’ve seen the European AVO units, which look retro-cool, but I’ve never played with them. Currently I own a Hickok 752 and a Triplett 3444. I also have a Tektronix 577 for plate curves, but I wouldn’t recommend a curve tracer for most hobbyists until after they’ve got a good suit-case analyzer.

The 539 series is probably the default recommendation in the US. They truly are fine units, and hard to fault as a recommendation. As a result, prices have sky-rocketed. The 752 was the successor to the 539 series, but is not as commonly seen, and is also a good choice. The TV-7 used to be available at hamfests for dirt-cheap prices, but those days are over. I do not recommend it anyway for general DIY use, because it’s not versatile enough. My favorite analyzer is the beautifully designed Triplett 3444 because it measures tubes using a wider range of well-filtered DC plate voltages that give you more real-world testing scenarios. The 3444 also uses a 5 KHz sine wave oscillator as the internal source voltage, rather than relying on half wave 60 Hz derived from the line. It easily performs all the other bells-and-whistles tests, and is a pleasure to use.

burnedfingers said:
Is stocking up on various models for future windfall a good idea?

That day may be here already. EBay prices for tube analyzers are pretty high for the coveted models. I toy with the idea of selling my 752, not because I don’t like, it, but because I never use it since the 3444 does just about everything equally as well or better.

Hi, I own an Hickock I-177B from US signal corps and is socket adaptator MX-949 (I fink it was left in europe after WW2, but I'm not sure).
It is a transconductance meter wich, as said Brian, is a better test for us in audio.
I'm very happy with it, it seem very accurate (you need to do a recap-job the beast and verify the balance of rectifier valves (this is an old beast for instance))
Hickock have the reputation to be the tektronix of tube tester and I think you can trust an I-177B on all test (except maybe gas test for small tubes)
There are little problems anyway :
-110V is not convinient nowadays in europe.
-83 mercury rectifier tube is hard to find and needs special care (it's poison), it's a good idea also to let it warm up verticaly as it is not intented for horizontal use (mercury condensation and ZAP)
-tropicalisation smells a lot (maybe you'll get stoned with green spots ;-)
-pinout switching is combination limited (except with MX949 extention)
-It miss post WWII popular tubes like EL34/6CA7 or EL84/6BQ5 ---> data welcome !
-Test for little tubes is performed with Ugk=5V (way too much for me)

Otherwise,to me, the best tube tester for old tubes
I paid it less than €40 with extention (no comment)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Isaac,
The transcendent Sound tube tester seems like a pretty good possibility.. One of the more interesting features is its ability to test at currents similar to those encountered in the circuits in which they will be used.

I think Hagtech makes or made an interesting tester kit as well.

I would definitely recommend the Hickok 539B/C series testers, and have and regularly use a 539B. I have the last generation charts and was able to get a complete set of manuals for it, although that was so long ago I no longer remember where I got them. I think the 600 series (have I got the model number right??) is also a good bet.

kevinkr said:
Hi Isaac,
The transcendent Sound tube tester seems like a pretty good possibility.. One of the more interesting features is its ability to test at currents similar to those encountered in the circuits in which they will be used.

Yeah, that's what caught my eye too. Has anyone ever built the RAT tube tester? The thing that appeals to me is the flexibility. If I ever got the motivation, i could build a tester for all those weird, two top cap tubes, 25 and 16 volt tubes, etc. Oh well, what's one more project on my to do list?:)

Isaac

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Here in Blighty, we like the AVO tester, of which the best is the VCM163 because it applies 15kHz to measure mutual conductance. Prices, however, have gone through the roof - I saw one go recently for £2100. I started wondering whether I really needed mine. I'd prefer a curve tracer...

Yes I've built the RAT tester as designed by the Steve Bench. I have a collection of testers ( Eico, Heathkit, Mercury, Precision, AVO MKII, AVO CT160, Supreme, Sencore, Taylor and an ancient Confidence tester), the RAT is the easiest to use by far. It does'nt test directly for shorts but if you watch the anode and screen volt meters as you wind up the current, the meters dip if there is some sort of internal short. I had a bunch of meters on hand so instead of calibrated knobs I've added meters for all the readouts. After using it for about 2 yrs I plan to build another incorporating some extra ideas and also things that I should have done first up.

I don't think there is a "best" tester, other than dropping it into the circuit and seeing how it works (old TV tech's will tell you this).

Very true. I guess this answer would also hold true to questions such as who makes the best amplifier, speakers and such.

Still we answer the question not actually looking to solve the question of who makes the best but to provide information about product that we have experience and knowledge about. This is what I was looking for and I am sure there are others reading this that might be thinking about a tube tester purchase now or in the future. Therefore maybe I am at fault for not properly listing the subject in this thread. Maybe I should have asked "Who makes a good usable tester?" or "Which tester is better for checking tubes for radio repair?" I am told that some testers will shine better in different areas. Is this true?

Ignoring my RAT tester the Taylor45c is probably the most convenient consistent tester of the lot that I have. A while back I picked up a Star SA500 all valve stereo amp at a garage sale; price was good ($20) . The seller had it playing, sounded good, had good volume, I took it home. Listened to it in the garage for a while and eventually decided to lift the lid and see what's inside. Some 12AX7's and 4 6GW8's. All of the 6GW8's tested less than 40% for gm in the pentode section, one tested only 30%. I plugged a pair of used but good 6GW8's into one channel and compared them, straight away noticed tighter bass and more volume. I guess it depends on your situation if you just want to get an old mantle radio going then you probably don't need to do any testing other than trying it in the circuit, having a tester saved me the bother of mixing and matching by trial and error the 20 odd used 6GW8's that I have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.