Used scopes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

This has been debated a lot and i have searched old threads but did not find an answer. So here goes:

I have an opportunity to buy one or more old scopes' from the list below:

Tektronix:
475A
2225 (550Mhz)
2230 (digital)
2235 (100Mhz)
7632 (Storage)

Philips
PM3218
PM3267

All of them should be in working order and have been calibrated on a regular basis.

And now the impossible question: What to buy?

I'd like to measure audio AND digital signals (<1Mhz).

I'm working with PIC's, audio (low-level, class AB, D) and whatever comes my way.

I know that one scope might not be enough, but I could buy more than one.

Please comment.

Regards TroelsM

Joined 2002
Paid Member
One thing you forgot to mention is the prices...
Depending on what they are can better decide
which is a good buy.
The 250Mhz Tek 475A is a great scope and a work
horse. Prices should be around $200.00 working.
Also the 2235 is a good scope around the same price.
The 465 is to old. If it was a 465B it would be OK..
Steve @ Apex Jr.

Hi!

Thanks for the fast reply.

The scopes are on auction but the prices should not rise to high as it's an "closed" auction with people from my firm.

I know that the 465 is getting´ old by now, but if the price is right and its in perfect condition?

Keep the advise coming´

Regards TroelsM

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 465 is the 1st of it's type there have been 3 revisions
with the 465B with both the DM 41 and DM44 options.
YES, your right if it's cheap and working it's a good scope.
The 485 scope is 350Mhz and has a very small screen
like the 453 scope and I would prefer the others.
Steve@ Apex Jr.

I personally have a 475A, and I love it. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with the others you listed, but if this one is under $250 I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up if it is indeed in good condition. Be sure to check the focus and brightness of the CRT!!

David

Oh, and I have never heard of anyone I know using a Philips scope, so that should tell you something. Tektronix and HP are the only two brands of scopes you should consider IMHO. Sort of like Flukes and DMM's.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Philips never had much penetration into the US market. I have seen a few and they were interesting and seemed well made. And they had a multiplier feature for the X inputs so you could see power directly.

Must have been more popular in Europe.
-Demian

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi TroelsM,
I have a Philips PM3070. Many problems, I do not recommend them at all. The faults seem to be heat related. The later "combiscope" was offered, but I rejected them based on how much hotter certain parts got.

I'd be looking at the Tek scopes. The 2235 (I'm trying to fix mine) is a good scope.

-Chris (for what it's worth)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
No, we don't like Philips 'scopes over here either (poor triggering). I used to have a Tek485 until its EHT supply expired. Where did Tek hide it? Deep inside so that there wasn't a hope of probing it to determine the fault. After a few attempts at fixing it I gave up. Shame, I liked it, even though the screen was quite small. And I preferred it to the 465B. I'd avoid any early digital storage 'scopes. They have a low sample rate, short memory and are a nightmare to drive.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EC8010,
I'd avoid any early digital storage 'scopes. They have a low sample rate, short memory and are a nightmare to drive.
Can't argue with you on that at all. I went with an analog (Philips) instead of the much better quality HP digital at the time. Resolution.
Sadly, it was still the right choice at the time.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
EC8010 said:
I used to have a Tek485 until its EHT supply expired. Where did Tek hide it? Deep inside so that there wasn't a hope of probing it to determine the fault. After a few attempts at fixing it I gave up. Shame, I liked it, even though the screen was quite small. And I preferred it to the 465B.

I have received much help for Tek scopes on the Yahoo TekScopes group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/ . If you still have the 485 you might be able to get a working HV module from someone in the group. They also can help with suggestions on scopes and sources for info.
-Demian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.