What's a good beginners Oscilloscope?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a beginners Oscilloscope, I'm willing to spend up to $500 or so. Here's the basics of what I'm looking for.

20-25 MHz (Is this an acceptable range in your opinions?)
Dual Trace
At least 0.5 microsecond resolution
5 mV low voltage sensitivity

Features like storage, delayed sweep, and selectable triggering are optional.

Most of the scopes I've found online are of the $1500+ variety. I haven't been able to find much in the lower price ranges...

Monday I am going to go to the local universitie's (WVU) surplus warehouse and see if the physics department has thrown anything out, who knows I may get lucky.

Is this worth $270?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1786118124

I hate to buy used as I may be getting someone else's junk.:xeye:

Edit: I'm also afraid I'm getting stolen stuff on ebay. Almost all of the descriptions say "the thing turns on and lights up but I have no idea if it does what it's supposed to."

I have an old very heavy tube oscilloscope. Made in Untited Kingdom.
Thanks, all brittish factory workers!
I got it for free. A guy had bought it cheap on an auction,
but had no use for it, so I got it.
There are nice peoples!

It has 2 channels and .5uS, which gives 2 MHz.
So it is enough for audio.
:D The problem was to carry it home, so I took the local bus! :D

A little high, I think

I picked up a 2232 for about 280 plus freight with a 20 days or so right of return on e-bay.

It just depends on how much time and energy you want to spend.

I lost a lot of bids on scopes that went to someone else -

The 2235 should be suitable with decent probes but if it were me I would just keep setting a snipe program and let tem go higher to someone else until I hit for one for less.

check out this link.

http://www.vaxxine.com/phil/scopes/scope$.htm

HTH

Ken

neglected scopes

the most seriously neglected series of very high quality scopes are the Tektronix 5XXX -- these have a large screen and very low noise sensitive plugins. Of course, they are 1970's vintage and the risk you take is that of a dull bulb -- but they go begging on the 'Bay. Plugins are very cheap for the quality. I have a couple of 'em. secondly, the 7XXX series are almost as inexpensive and have the richest set of plugins -- a 7704a in good shape with two time bases and two vertical amps will cost abou to $100 to $200 -- this for an instrument which cost in the tens of thousands and was used for all kinds of testing in the 1980's and 1990's.

Re: THAT'S WHY!!

fdegrove said:
Hi Halojoy,

I'm slowly beginning to see why you post these lyrics and other joyous posts!

A free scope no less.

Lucky Swede.;)
Yes.
What is joyous in Belgium, besides drinkin' beer, diggin' music and watching the curves (on the scope)?
If anyone would try the impossible :bawling: task of getting some data or a manual/instructions for my scope,
it is a TELEQUIPMENT LTD London type D43R.
It is really not nessesary.
After some trials and errors I managed to get a hold on how you do things with an oscilloscope. But still there are ways to use it I haven't learned.
The trafo is versatile.
One plug on the backside selects 220/110 VAC.
Another adjusts in in 7 positions!: plus/minus 5V, 10V, 20V
Nowadays not many would bother with such options.

Definately check ebay. It will take some time finding what you really want, but will pay off. I spent about a month searching before I found the perfect scope. I got a HP 1715a. It only cost me $73, and its 200MHz. You might not find anything that nice, but you can find something good.

Be sure to also spend some time researching what is available. There are some good websites on this subject. I lost my bookmarks a while back so I no longer have the url's

Darrell Harmon

Your D43R

Halojoy,

Happy to hear you like the scope. I used to work at the Telequipment plant in Hoddesdon (Hertfordshire) although that was after they were acquired by Tek. I stayed for a few years, but Tek wasn't really interested in that market. So I moved on.

Anyway, it's a fine instrument, and there is a manual online at:
http://www.thevalvepage.com/servdata/testeq/telequip/d43_main.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers, BC :drink:

$500 will get a lot of scope on the used market. However, be sure you budget some extra money for probes. A lot of the used scopes don't have any probes for some reason. I wonder where they all go... Probably to the same place where all the knobs go from the antique radios!

You may find that a set of probes will cost as much as the scope. Before buying probes, be sure to check out some of the probe tutorial stuff on Tektronix's web site. The info there will help you figure out exactly what sort of performance you need to match your scope, and will keep you from overpaying by buying too much probe.

MR

Re: Your D43R

BC108man said:
Halojoy,

Happy to hear you like the scope. I used to work at the Telequipment plant in Hoddesdon (Hertfordshire) although that was after they were acquired by Tek. I stayed for a few years, but Tek wasn't really interested in that market. So I moved on.

Anyway, it's a fine instrument, and there is a manual online at:
http://www.thevalvepage.com/servdata/testeq/telequip/d43_main.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers, BC :drink:
Thank you very much, gentleman :)
Skål! :drink:

The grand old painter died last night
His paintings on the wall
Before he went he bade us well
And sais goodnight to us all.
"Drink to me, drink to my health.
You know I can't drink anymore"

From a great CD, filled with great sound and music - A CD everyone should have.
Paul McCartney & Wings "Band On The Run" 1973
"A Good Old Song will remain A Good Old Song
even though time goes by and new songs are written"

/haojoy nov2002

500 scope...

Double that $500, Spend a $1000, and get a 60Mhz Tektronix TDS1000 series scope. Again, the scope may be a little more than a begineer needs, but it does offer FFT as standard (FFT being a poor mans spectrum analyzer)

(I really really really really really like the new TEK scopes) You can't beat them!

-Dan

A tube precision Vertical Amp

I imagine a vertical amp in an oscilloscope
must have some very high qualities.
It can be interesting to see how this was solved in a tube amp.
The D43 uses EF184 penthodes and ECC88 triodes.

Attachments

• oscd43 v-amp3.gif
    oscd43 v-amp3.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 864
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I picked up a Tektronix 2235 100 MHz dual channel scope with probe and manual off of ebay for $309 plus about $20 shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1920775035

$330 is a little more than I wanted to pay, but I saw that manuals and probes were commanding high prices, so I thought I'd spend a little extra and get everything at once.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: A tube precision Vertical Amp

halojoy said:
I imagine a vertical amp in an oscilloscope
must have some very high qualities.
It can be interesting to see how this was solved in a tube amp.
The D43 uses EF184 pentodes and ECC88 triodes.

Yes, and no. Oscilloscopes vertical amplifiers need bandwidth from DC to light, but their noise and distortion performance only needs to be 40-50dB down for it to be invisible on the CRT.

If you need them, I have original paper manuals for Telequipment plug-in amplifiers Type A, C-2, and K.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Corn-Picker said:
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I picked up a Tektronix 2235 100 MHz dual channel scope with probe and manual off of ebay for $309 plus about $20 shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1920775035

$330 is a little more than I wanted to pay, but I saw that manuals and probes were commanding high prices, so I thought I'd spend a little extra and get everything at once.

I'd say that's a very reasonable price for a 2235, especially if it has the correct Tek probes. The significance of probes is that having spent all that money to get 100MHz (-3dB) bandwidth at the input BNC, you now want that bandwidth at the probe tip. You might think that 100MHz is plenty, but, trust me, you can't have too much bandwidth on an oscilloscope - even for audio. I've had audio cathode followers that oscillated at 70MHz...

Now all you have to do is to learn how to get the most out of your tool. Unlike music centres, all those controls are there for a purpose, so if you're not using some of them, you're not exploiting it to the full.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.