Power Tools: 220V v 110V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't posted at this forum in awhile, hopefully I can rekindle my interest in the audio diy hobby.

Anyway I'm going to be buying some power equipment (non audio related) -- some of the tools require a 220V hookup (like a dust collection unit). I'm still in the 1 phase market though :)

Can I use a simple step up x-former between my 110V house connection and these tools? The 220V specs are for 60Hz (not European 220V standards). I believe they use the higher volt b/c of power requirements -- higher voltage lower amps is safer maybe? Hopefully it's not a higher voltage and same amps -- then of course a step up won't work.

Or do I have to have an electrician come and complete a 220V circuit in my shop from the house's circuit breaker unit?

thanks!

I have to agree with Cal, run a 220 line. Do not attempt to do what a step up, something will go wrong. (I'm not even sure it'll work properly) If you're nervous about the voltages at all, have an electrician do it. It's not complicated, but at that level, its much better to be safe than sorry.

Also, as jackinnj said, switching to the higher voltage will allow your tools to run with higher torque and what not. (I don't remember fully why, but its got something to do with the balanced voltage coming in)

Basic American house wiring is 220 anyway. The phase is split, with neutral in the center. SO half the circuits in the house are 120 off one side, and the rest come from the other side. So all youur electrician needs to do is bring both sides out to a 220 outlet for you.

The nice part about 220 is that you are drawing through both sides, if you used a step up, you would be drawing off one side and the transformer would need to draw twice the amps from that side rather than the nornal draw from both.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.