Lead free solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just purchased some lead free solder for my venture into electronics, but I've been told that the higher tempuratures required to melt it can damage components. I'm too paranoid to use lead solder because of lead exposure, so what can I do to prevent damage to my components? :(

Lead is actually not that poisonous compared to many other things you commonly will come into contact with. It is a danger primarily to developing children (affects brain development). There are probably various compounds in the flux that are much worse.

As 454Casull indicated, the primary vector is oral. Don't eat while soldering and wash afterwards.

Yeah the fumes are probably much worse than just handling lead solder...

Even then its only a problem if your licking your fingers or something, then I guess a tiny bit gets ingested.

I bet the lead free stuff has bad fumes too, setup a simple fan or work with an open window at least.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.