Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Analyser recommendations
Analyser recommendations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2018, 10:43 AM   #1
avtech23 is online now avtech23  Australia
WAF. The most critical value in audio!
diyAudio Member

Analyser recommendations
Default Analyser recommendations

I've been hunting around for an analyser for measuring basic things like THD but hoped to get some more current advice than 'buy the QA400'. I have an old oscilloscope but want to be able to carry out distortion analysis.

The QA400, whilst probably being exactly what I need is unobtainium here in Oz, especially for the much quoted '$200' figure. I saw an old used one go on auction for about $200usd recently and the QA401 is listed at $449USD (well over $600 AUD after shipping). Don't think the domestic finance director would be happy with that! ;-)

The HP 339a doesn't seem to be available for much under $500AUD except for some shipping from Israel (shipping costing more than the unit).

So...

Does anyone have a recommended setup that works well for them with either a purpose made unit, or USB interface, capable of fairly decent hobbyist accuracy for under $250 AUD

And is something that is actually available here in Oz? (I went through a big list of USB sound cards recently but they all ended up being cheap in the US but extortionate in AU).

Or does anyone here in Oz have something that perhaps they just don't need anymore?

Thanks!
Old 7th June 2018, 01:05 PM   #2
lisoformio is offline lisoformio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtech23 View Post
Does anyone have a recommended setup that works well for them with either a purpose made unit, or USB interface, capable of fairly decent hobbyist accuracy for under $250 AUD
Right Mark (http://audio.rightmark.org) + E-MU 0202/0204.
Old 7th June 2018, 01:37 PM   #3
OlegSh is online now OlegSh
diyAudio Member

Analyser recommendations
I am happy with Focusrite Scralett 2i2 2nd gen. I use it with REW and also tried it with ARTA. It works fine with both. My tests of the unit are here.

Regards,
Oleg
Old 7th June 2018, 02:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Analyser recommendations
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisoformio View Post
+ E-MU 0202/0204.
Despite being on our national coat of arms.. the EMU are pretty hard to come by here...

Any other recommendations for a good USB interface?

The RMAA looks good though thanks!
Old 7th June 2018, 03:11 PM   #5
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Analyser recommendations
I think your $250 AUD budget is a bit unrealistic... but this one is pretty close, and ships locally: https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/digit...copes/7933654/
Old 7th June 2018, 03:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Analyser recommendations
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
I think your $250 AUD budget is a bit unrealistic..
Thanks jazbo. Can you give me an idea of what a realistic budget would be?

Some of the external sound card and software options are in the ball park of $200US/250AUD, so getting measurements on a lowish budget is achievable.. but is there a massive jump in quality / capability, for instance, between a Focusrite 2i2 with say MRAA/ARTA and a $600+ QA401?
Old 7th June 2018, 03:51 PM   #7
haiqu is offline haiqu  Australia
diyAudio Member

There's some Chinese guy on eBay selling a couple of used Audio Precision analysers. At $2250 or so I was tempted. But then I don't have a wife to appease ...
Old 7th June 2018, 03:58 PM   #8
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Analyser recommendations
@avtech23 - Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully, I thought you were looking for a scope, not an analyzer... so disregard my comments above. With a decent soundcard, you can get very good results as many have shown here on the forum. It's just a matter of finding a combination of HW and SW that you are comfortable with. Obviously, the lower the THD that you are trying to measure, the more expensive the soundcard is going to be, if you are not planning to get down to tiny THD, then any modern pro-sumer card should work.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Analyser recommendations
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegSh View Post
I am happy with Focusrite Scralett 2i2 2nd gen. I use it with REW and also tried it with ARTA. It works fine with both. My tests of the unit are here.

Regards,
Oleg
Thanks Oleg, an interesting read.

Do you use the balanced - SE converter circuit in that thread?
Old 7th June 2018, 04:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Analyser recommendations
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
At $2250 or so I was tempted. But then I don't have a wife to appease ...
Haha I could always tell her I thought it was $225.00 but the decimal point was in the wrong place!!

Analyser recommendationsHide this!Advertise here!