Scope under 200$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a Hantek DSO5072P 70 Mhz DSO about a month ago. They are normally $240 USD ish, but eBay had a flash sale and I was able to get it for $203 USD shipped to my office. It comes with probes, etc.

Hantek DSO5072P Digital Oscilloscope 2Channels 70MHz 1GS/s 7'' TFT WVGA(800x480) | eBay

I also looked at Rigol and Siglent, and really liked the Siglent, particularly the way it can gradient shade its display. I went with the Hantek because of its low price. It is a stand alone unit, and strikes me as quite a bit of device, for not a lot of money. So far I am pleased with it. If you could spend another $100 - 150 USD or so, then I would take a look at the Siglent scopes.

Hope this helps.

Win W5JAG

Last edited:
Dear Win W5JAG,

Thank you for your lines. This is what I would like to hear real experiences.
this scope seems OK.
What purpose do you use it?

(money: Unfortunately While it arrives to Hungary with shipping TAXes it will be close to 350USD, so My wife will kill me :):):). )

So I wouldn't go higher, besides that I will check your suggestions regarding the Siglent.

I am using it for simple hobbyist RF stuff.

If you go to the lounge, and look at the "No RF" thread about the bottom of the first page, the last page of that has some photos of it displaying waveforms and FFT's.

I agree that for hobbyist diy audio stuff, about any scope is highly useful. I had ( have ) an ancient 1 MHz portable ProTek DSO that was perfectly adequate for simple audio stuff. It replaced all my boat anchor scopes.

I like the small portable scopes - there are a lot of places it is handy to have a scope, they are not just for your bench.

Win W5JAG

1 MHz isn't enough if you want to look at step response or square waves - even at audio frequencies.

My first scope was a Tektronix 2215. 60 MHz, dual-trace analog scope. I still have it and it still works. That would be my suggestion, especially if you can find one locally. They turn up on eBay. If you can get a calibrated one from someone who knows how to pack these scopes, that may be an option. I would not buy from just any random guy there as many have no clue about how to box up test equipment for shipping and the scopes tend to get knocked out of alignment.

Tom

Dear All, thanks for all suggestion and examples.
I will check them.

Just i have seen earlier some chines PC connected models for really low price and read some reviews, and decided not to go into this direction.

This is why I asked some help and real experiences,

thanks again,
Sz.

If they have hamfests or electronic shows where you are at, you might take a look for old scopes there.

This kind of test equipment is not the greatest, but it's usually cheap and OK for hobby stuff.

I may still have a boat anchor 10 MHz scope in my warehouse of junk ( I know I have a signal monitor scope there - saw it a few weeks ago ) , and I think I have an unbuilt Heathkit 5 MHz scope in my attic, but I like the small form factor of the DSO scopes.

I'm not sure I could be talked into being given an older scope at this point.

Win W5JAG

It might help if you stated the purpose you have in mind for the scope, and your skill set.

I am just a hobby guy. My work bench is small, so size ( and cost ) are the two most important things to me. My building skills are average ( or worse ) on my best day.

My GUESS is the USB scopes are roughly the equivalent of the low end DSO scopes, but without the stand alone convenience. 20 MHz two channel Hantek USB scopes are less than $60 USD delivered, so not much of a risk to try one and see how it works.

In the RF thread in the lounge, one of the participants has a USB device called a Red Pitaya, that is on my to get list:

Red Pitaya

They are more than $200 USD here, but are based in the EU, so might be cheaper for you if you are leaning to a USB device.

Win W5JAG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.