Rec for soldering iron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its been a long time since I soldered anything. I remember using a Weller iron that never seemed to get hot enough and got all this 'junk' built up on the tip. And a Weller gun that either wouldn't melt solder or got so hot that it damaged the pcb and melted the wire insulation.

I'd like to do an upgrade to my car audio and will need to solder, while in the car, twelve pair or so of wires (16 gauge and smaller). Can someone offer info (basic best practices) and recommendations for an iron and solder for an infrequent user.

Thanks!

This.

Best soldering iron I've owned so far. Digital temperature control, cal certificate came with mine. Heats up damn fast - no more waiting ages for the tip to heat when you realise you missed one solder joint and turned the iron off already..

Decent construction and plenty of spare tips available. Good range of heat and can be programmed into presets.

Presets can even be password protected if you're into that kind of thing!

Cheaper than a Weller with comparable features and IMO better (we use a Weller model at work and they are real nasty - not like the old Weller that I used almost daily for 14 years and it was already 10 years old at least!).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.