old solder versus lead free

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just ordered a signal generator kit from China, to help with testing/fixing an amplifier. Like this one. Hrph XR2206 Function Signal Generator DIY Kit Sine: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I've had my soldering iron for 35 years (Antex), and have 60/40 lead solder. Up 'til now I've only worked on old stuff.

Questions;

* Do I need modern/lead-free solder for this kit?
* If I do, do I need to keep a separate iron (or separate tip) ?
* Is mixing solders bad?

BugBear

Try the old stuff. It may be that the flux is no good, you can tell if it doesn't wick to leads.
Done right, lead free is ok. But I would go for new tin/lead if I had the choice.

You can mix them no problem, but you'll not get shiny joints.

I assume the parts are designed for the higher temps, but why chance it if you don't have to.

Jn

The only advantage of using the "new " type of solder is an "green" one, less lead.
But they forget that the dissadvantages are:

Bad solder joints overtime.
Metal whiskers that grow up to 3 cm and cause shorts.
A higher melting point that is achieved by consuming more electric power.
A higer purchase price.
An increase of headaches and use of painkillers due to these solder problems and connections.

Why is the 60/40 still used by the aerospace and military?
It's more reliable that the "new" stuf.

The higher proportion of tin and the higher melting temperature of lead-free solder can wear soldering iron bits 4 to 5 times faster than tin-lead solder.

In addition, lead-free solders typically have a more aggressive flux formulation.

If contemplating changing to lead-free solder it is worth doing some prior research e.g. by means of an internet search for 'lead free soldering with weller tools'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.