'Scope recommendations please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tektronix 2215
Tektronix 2465B (probably twice your $250 budget).

Buy a tested and calibrated model. Note that the 2215 is known to get whacked out of alignment in shipping, so if you go that route, make sure you deal with someone who knows how to pack these things.

A casual scan of the reviews for the Rigol scopes will reveal that the hardware appears to be decent, but the user interface leaves something to be desired. When I upgrade my 2465B to a digital scope, I'll buy a HP/Agilent/Keysight/Nom d'Jour or Tektronix.

Tom

I'm also happy with my Rigol DSO although haven't had time to really get to learn it. One thing I can praise about Rigol is their customer service. I damaged an LCD screen with a hot air gun (my bench has since been re-arranged). Rigol sold me a new screen and all the tech support and documentation anyone could have wished for. I bought mine from Tequipment.net. Their prices are about the same as Saelig.

Phil

I bought a Tek 2235 for $150 + $35 S&H from eBay. In great condition and appears to be in/or close to calibration.

+1 on the 2235, what I truly like about this scope is that it does'nt use a fan, so its dead quiet. I've been using mine for the last 10 years until I replaced it with a 2465A with a wider bandwith and digital features such as cursors. If you have the budget, nothing can beat a 2467B, with its 400MHz bandwidth and BrightEye display, thats my next buy for sure...

Regarding digital oscilloscopes I have a TBS1102 100MHz oscilloscope and a TDS 520B 500 Mhz scope, for day to day work I prefer the TBS1102 with its color display and USB input to write screen captures. Many people prefer the Rigol scopes with a larger sample memory than the Tek scopes, however Im of the idea that Tektronix is a much better brand, so even if the Rigol has more features I prefer a Tek scope. Not long ago I remember I had to read FSK modulation from a 300 MHz signal , and I had a 50 MHz Tek scope and a 200 MHZ GW Instek scope, the 50 MHz Tek scope performed much better with its limited bandwidth. Dont get me wrong, Rigol is a good brand, I own a Rigol DSA815 spectrum analyzer and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The DS1052E is VERY long in the tooth and lacks a lot of things that an analog scope would provide. The only benefit would be the USB interface and the ability to see every little detail (though no intensity grading). I would step up to the DS1054Z at $330 instead.

Is there anything half decent available in the $250 US range or am I delusional?

Thanks, Steve

$250 isn't impossible to find something good but it will be mostly analog or early analog/digital. It is DEFINITELY going to be used and with no warranty. Plus you are going to have none of the benefits of modern digital scopes: intensity grading, image capture, advanced triggering (saves time), digital bus decoding, etc. Quite frankly, the modern digital scope is 10x the scope the old ones are. That being said, digital scopes still lack vertical resolution but are getting much better (this mainly shows up in XY mode, if you need it).

I don't know how much flexibility you have in your budget but personally, I would save up the extra bit and go for this:
https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS1054Z/Digital-Oscilloscopes/ It is $349 shipped and includes some bundles. With the EEVBlog discount, you can get the price down to $328. Additionally, you can find a hack online (Riglol) to unlock the 100 MHz bandwidth as well. $328 for a 4-channel 100Mhz scope with all features unlocked is a damn hell of a value. Additionally, the firmware is fully mature at this point (even if unintuitive at times) as almost bugs have been ironed out.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I agree that the DS1052 is getting old. I agree that there is a lot of functionality it lacks compared to other choices. It is, however a fantastic entry level scope, and compared to an analog scope, having the counters makes it worth having.

That said, as the price differential between the 1052 series and the 1054 series is now so small, it would be a mistake to purchase a 1052 new. The 1054 is significantly better and worth the extra $100 without question.

I prefer one of the cheaper series Tektronix digital scope than a Rigol scope, yes the Tek has less sample memory, but overall it is a much better scope in my opinion. If you are willing to spend around $600-$700 USD you can find a good (new) 100MHz Tek scope. There are also great deals on early digital Tek scopes (90's digital scopes with CRTs) you can buy them really cheap these days (as low as $200), and they are great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Tek 2235. Good scope, until you need repair parts. The most likely to go are switches, which are essentially unobtanium. CRTs are nearly so. The horizontal range switch on mine doesn't connect anymore without some horsing around with it and the trace isn't as clear as it once was (probably power supply). So I just ordered a Rigol 4 channel unit. I've been a dyed in the wool analog scope guy for years (got burned by aliasing on earlier digital scopes doing RF work -- AM waveforms on those just do NOT work), but a major (MAJOR!) advantage of newer digital scopes is the abiility to take screen shots of the display into image files on the USB adaptor. Older Tek digital scopes won't give you that either, if I'm going with a digital I'm not going to forgo the image export capabilities.

I just pulled the trigger on this one !!!!
It will be here next Friday Wooooo Hooooo !!!
I have waited at least 7 years for this day.
It's a 350Mhz and not a 400Mhz version but will suit me nicely for what I need.

Jer :D

Tektronix 2465A Oscilloscope 350 MHz Four 4 -Channel Analog | eBay

P.S this is the model I got, but not the same Ebay page as they take those that are bought off the site right away below is a screen shot of the details for it.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_20180620_224551.png
    Screenshot_20180620_224551.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 245
Ya I wanted a 2467 type but for the price I couldn't pass it up, if needed I will have it refurbished and calibrated next year and meanwhile I will keep my eyes peeled for a 2467B as well. :)

jer :)

P.S. my Hitachi V-425 has been really good to me for 30 some years for $1000, but it is time for something faster since I am now fascinated by the world of ARM cpu's and FPGA's. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.