'Scope recommendations please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For basic troubleshooting and testing of DIY audio gear. Hobbyist use, don't have TEK or Fluke budget. Probably 2 channels. Digital scope?

Thanks, Steve

I've owned a Tek 475 since '91 and its a fine scope but at work I have a Tek MDO-3024. Triggering on and decoding RS232, I²C is very powerful and there are sometimes glitches that are hard to find on an analog scope are easy with a digital. Measurements are more complete with a digital scope.

I too have a limited budget and settled on a Rigol DS1054Z for $350 total out the door. It's not a Tek but at 1/10 the price it's way more than 1/10 the performance. The 1054Z can be 'hacked' to get it up to100 MHz and reports itself as a DS1104Z. The triggering options can decode I²C and RS-232. 2 other guys at work saw it and each bought one. We're all happy with them.
It's a LOT of bang for the buck.

Yeah, the price difference between a 2465A and a 2467B is huge, but the 2465A is a great scope, you probably wont need to calibrate it, mine hasnt been cal'd and it works perfectly, as long as the markers work like they should then you are ready to go. If precision in measurements is what you want, then a digital scope is a better choice, I always thought of analog scopes as merely 'windows' for the signal rather than precision instruments.

Yeah, the price difference between a 2465A and a 2467B is huge, but the 2465A is a great scope, you probably wont need to calibrate it, mine hasnt been cal'd and it works perfectly, as long as the markers work like they should then you are ready to go. If precision in measurements is what you want, then a digital scope is a better choice, I always thought of analog scopes as merely 'windows' for the signal rather than precision instruments.

Awesome, I did get to converse with the seller and he said that it has never gave him any issues at all, he couldn't remember what options it has if any.
No big deal I will find out when it gets here.
I do plan on having it refurbished in order to keep it working for a long time to come.
Meanwhile I'll still be looking for a 2467b to get eventually.
Lately I have been getting into the world of FPGA's and really fast logic so we'll see how far it takes me, I most likely won't be dealing with any external logic with speeds greater than about 200Mhz anyhow for a while.
at that point I will be looking to get a digital model with at least a 2Gsp rate just for looking at logic signals.... If Needed! ;)

Cheers !!! :D

jer :)

Hi,

I recently bought me a Siglent SDS1204X-E, 200MHz 4-channel DSO.
As a nice add-on one can generate Bode plots and it offers a 1M FFT (only the 4-channel models of this series), providing for -at least some basic- signal analyzer functionality.
Though named 4-channel its rather a 2x2channel scope, as it features two ADCs, each of which shared by 2 channels (2x 1GaS/s, 4x500Ms/s).
Its very responsive, fast and intuitive to handle.
The 100MHz model is considerably cheaper ... rather a Rigol 1054Z competitor .... cheaper than a legally upgraded Rigol and still offering more functionality, speed and power.
Parts- and build quality seems also to be better .... Siglent´s obviously heading to the top at the time .... offering a set of powerful measurement devices (MMs, PSs, SGs) with excellent, almost unbelievable price/quality/performance ratio.

jauu
Calvin

Hi,

in comparison the Keysight features considerably less.
Used to 2-channel scopes I didn't bother much, but since I got my 4-channels I wouldn't wanna go back.
Besides a decent sample/sec rate a high wfms/sec rate is good ... and You can never have too much memory to probe slow signals .... the Keysight is no bummer in that regard
For the money the Keysight costs You could buy the 200MHz 4-channel Siglent with a lot more hardware and software features plus (!) the excellent 40MHz 2-channel, 16Bit(!) arb signal generator SDG2042 ... the equivalent of Keysight's almost 3.000$ costing 33522B.
amusing sidenote .... some of the LeCroy Oscilloscopes and function generators are Siglent OEMs that Siglent only sells as Siglent originals to the chinese market (Siglent powered by Teledyne LeCroy). But the Multimeter's and function generator's GUIs are almost exact copies of the Keysight 344xx and 335xx .

jauu
Calvin

Last edited:
In the arena of late-20th century analog scopes, while I enjoyed working with Tektronix, for certain features, I never found one with a sharp CRT display. Every one I ever used looked fuzzy to me... I still use a Leader LBO-518 (100MHz), which will put up 8 razor-sharp traces on the screen (2 vertical inputs, 2 trigger inputs, and 2 timebases for all). No digital features, cursors, etc, but it was the epitome of pure-analog scope technology, IMO.

Also have a vintage Tektronix, (with a sharp display), an old all-tube model, but it's probably worth more parted out for tubes than it is as a working unit- lots of Bugle Boy 6DJ8's. And an EICO 460 which I still fire up occasionally for old time's sake....

LOL, I know this isn't relevant to the OP , but this thread got me reminiscing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.