Recommendation for a tube tester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello DIYers,

I posted a thread on Test equipment but received no response. Hopefully, I get some response shere. Mod/Admin can help me delete my other post in "Equipment & Tools"

I'm a beginner to tubes. I'm getting ready to build my 1st tube amp project. I have bought quite of few of new tubes, old/NOS tubes from various sources for my project but I have no way of testing them to confirm that they are still good.

From what I studied on the internet, Hickock 533A, 539A, 600A are the good mutual transconductance models for basic of everything and most of the tubes out there. Do you have any feedbacks on these models or any other recommendations ?

Better yet, I'm looking for one right now, if any members have a good/solid/calibrated tube testers both dynamic or mutual transconductance models and willing to offer, please PM me. I trust you more than anyone else on Ebay or Craigslist these days when it comes to test equipment like this one. I live in San Diego, CA.

Looking forward to your feedbacks :)
Thanks,
Tom

That eTracer looks quite nice! Extended V and I operation.

For the price of a tube tester these days, you could get a Tektronix 576 curve tracer off Ebay (about $600). This is what I currently use, -modified- for tube grid stepping voltages up to +/-250V. Handles TV Sweep tubes up to Amperes and 750V or 1500V plate V. Pics below. Obviously not as cheap as the uTracer or eTracer, which are fine for most tubes!

An even more exotic option is using Xantrex GPIB/RS-232 controlled power supplies with a Visual Basic program on the PC for curve tracing. 16 bit V and I control and read-back. Can test up to 1200 Watt tubes. (Vplate: XHR 600-2, Vscreen: XT 250-0.25, Vgrid1: XT 120-0.5 or XT 60-1, heater: HPD 60-5)

Pics:
1) Tek 576 in operation
2) Tek 576 during modification
3) Xantrex/Sorensen XHR
4) Xantrex XT 250
5) Xantrex and Hoefer (0-500V only $100)
6) real linear tube operation (Crazy Drive)

Attachments

• Tek576_curve_tracer.JPG
    Tek576_curve_tracer.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 140
  • rsz_curve_tracer_fix2.jpg
    rsz_curve_tracer_fix2.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Xantrex_Sorensen_XHR150.jpg
    Xantrex_Sorensen_XHR150.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Xantrex_XT-250.jpg
    Xantrex_XT-250.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 130
  • rsz_hoefer_6.jpg
    rsz_hoefer_6.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 125
  • rsz_26lx6_crazy_drive_27k_5vs_55v.jpg
    rsz_26lx6_crazy_drive_27k_5vs_55v.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.