HP 3561A - Any familiar with it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Just picked up a HP 3561A. Boots, ran all the tests in the service manual. Can look at signals etc. My question with anyone familar with these is how to do frequency response sweeps on it. I know it's possible but cannot figure out the right combo of settings. Currently using AudioTester, so maybe this is overkill.
It's way big also.
Anyone have an idea?

No idea, but you might be glad to know
you picked up the "portable" model. :)

Maybe you need to have a signal sweep generator
on the front end. Does the manual have the set up
diagrams showing how the various pieces of test
gear are connected together?

I would guess if you look in some other HP manuals
of the related connected pieces of test gear that might
lead you what you want to know.

BAMA archives and HP Museum for example of other manuals.
And HP might have discussed measurements in their journal or
tech notes etc.

It's a nice box, actually. It's the "portable" version of the HP3562. But yeah... If you have never used test equipment more sophisticated than a voltmeter before, you'll have some learning to do to use it.

If you want to use it, I suggest getting a manual for it. Artek Media and Manuals Plus are your friends here.

Tom

Thanks Demian and Tom,

After reading the manual and some app notes it's a bit overkill for what I'm doing. Just getting a plot will require a Plotter emulator.
My current test setup is a sig gen, scope and AC millivoltmeter with software providing the results, either Audiotester or RMAA, for the DUT (usually a tape machine). I just love old HP and Tek stuff. More of an strange addiction than anything.
Thanks,
Jim

The 3561 is only a single channel unit. It has a pseudo-random noise generator which can be used as a source for amplitude response measurement. It is not as good as a swept sine source that most 2 channel units have. To get a reasonable response display you will need to multiple captures and average the results. Averaging is a built in function, and I would start with 64 averages and see how it looks. Using this method does not offer any usable phase information.

paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.