Smith & Larson Woofer Tester 2 -vs- Dayton Audio DATS V2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own the Smith & Larson Woofer Tester 2 but not the DATS v2.... so I have hands on experience only with first one. I would say that there are extra benefits that WT2 offers, but it comes at expense of much more difficult to learn GUI and procedures.
If it is only basic impedance plots and T/S parameter measurements that you need then DATS is probably a better option. If you are deeper into the hobby and do no mind learning, reading user manual, experimenting more etc, then WT2 does offer extras like being able to measure the impedance of ready box and then comparing the result with your box model. I've also used same workflow in it to successfully determine parameters for passive radiator that did not come with a spec etc.
But again - be prepared to deeper learning curve with WT2 - it does have many "too interesting" GUI properties like horizontally long button that does two different things depending on which end of the button you press with mouse. I've not really seen that sort of fuzzy logic in any other software before.

WT2 is probably superior but is it still updated (patches) and upgraded? Is it supported on the windows version you use? I ask because I,m hesitating between the two options you mention and wonder if it runs on current windows or if will need to find an older OS which is not something I would be able to do.

It works fine with latest Win10 (1709). It does not need a special driver for the "WT2", it is recognized as generic audio interface. So from that side it's good.
(I've also used it on Win7 and prior Win10 versions ok)
As for software or feature updates - that seems to have stalled in last years indeed. Though as mentioned there is lots of features in it as is.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Woofer Tester 2 is the best option. It actuallt measures the T/S parameters the same way you would manually as opposed to estimating the parameters from the shape of the impedance curve. Support is very good. The UI is not really great (but a lot of that is down to Windows). And it seems they have droppeird the price $40.

Do note that even when you get a set of parameters, using what the factory have measured using their big-buck industry standard hardware/software is a better bet for doing a 1st run simulation of your box because they pick the scalar parameters off of a more useful place n the T/S curves.

I only use mine for matching drivers (and i have measured thousands), and it is the only reason i have for bootin gmy Mac into Windoz.

dave

Sorry for late response, I am using woofertester pro.though I have dats2, woofertester pro is sophisticated & with lot of additional features which hardly other competitors fail to match.Only problem using the device is, learning curve is very steep.but, it pays of well.very satisfied using the device. I tried to order again one more device, but unfortunately no response and they returned the money(PayPal).I am dependent heavily on this device, at least for TSP extract, Box design, xover design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.