Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Measuring base spreading resistance
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2018, 12:58 PM   #31
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

It costs less than GBP 1,00 to purchase one. Now you can measure Vcesat at a variety of currents and a variety of temperatures.
Old 7th April 2018, 02:12 PM   #32
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
It costs less than GBP 1,00 to purchase one. Now you can measure Vcesat at a variety of currents and a variety of temperatures.
Set the Vertical knob of your Tektronix 576 to "StepGen", the Horizontal knob to Collector and the Terminal Selector to "Emitter Grounded" and the vertical axis will display Ib, the horizontal axis Vce

(Unfortunately, the 576 doesn't give logarithmic results!)

Last edited by jackinnj; 7th April 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 7th April 2018, 06:53 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell3 View Post
This is cool, thanks for doing all the look-up!

Can you use the Excel option to label each point with the transistor number?
It would be good to understand what is the difference between transistors that have vce(sat) near 0.01V and very low noise vs. the ones that have vcesat of 0.005V but more noise.
I labeled the datapoints in Photoshop.

Anyone, feel free to provide better Vce(sat) numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: png VceSat_Noise3.png (77.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 8th April 2018, 02:35 AM   #34
Maxwell3 is offline Maxwell3
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I looked at more specific examples. For example 2sd2653 and 2sb1690 clearly have Vce(sat) of less than 10 mV, while 2sc3601 and 2sc3955 have Vce(sat) of about 0.1V. Yet the noise of the first pair is a factor of 2 higher than the noise of the second pair. So, while low Vce(sat) seems to contribute to giving a low-noise transistor, its not the only necessary ingredient.

Perhaps someone can stare at the examples of these datasheets and identify another reason why some transistors might be better than others.

I am going to get some PBSS4021nz transistors, which have Vce(sat) of less than 1 mV, the lowest I could find, and try to measure their noise. I haven't done such measurements before, so it may take me some time to setup the amplifier circuit. If anyone already has a setup to measure the noise, feel free to beat me to it.
Old 8th April 2018, 11:23 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell3 View Post
... less than 1 mV, the lowest I could find, and try to measure their noise. I haven't done such measurements before, so it may take me some time to setup the amplifier circuit. If anyone already has a setup to measure the noise, feel free to beat me to it.
You just went "down the Rabbit hole, Alice".

Measuring base spreading resistanceHide this!Advertise here!