Crimping VS. soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magura,

I have heard arguments for both cased. Also I believe it depend on the metals of the wire and the lug your crimping. My complaint on just crimping is sometime the wires come out of the lug or terminals. Therefore, I crimp then solder with a silver solder all that still depend on the metals.

Of course, dissimilar metals can create a galvanic response increasing noise.

;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The best short term (~years) connection will be the crimped connection. The most consistant connection will be the solder connection. The solder is the poorer of the two connections because you have 2 dissimilar metal junction instead of one for the crimp connection. Crimping and soldering is better than soldering alone, but only marginally. The heat required to solder the crimped connection will relieve the compression of the crimp.

The use of inert metals such as gold or rhodium will nearly negate the issue galvanic reaction. The other issue is the thermal electric effect (Seebeck Voltage) , but it is very small for copper, silver, gold, rhodium.

A properly crimped joint will actually cold weld the wire to the barrel of the terminal. When working on military vehicle design at my last job, crimp was the method of choice, even on 4/0 power cables. I only solder connections that need a little extra protection or durability, like super-thin wires to 22AWG connectors, or some high voltage (10kV+) apparatus being submerged in oil. Soldering connectors in an amp is a waste of time and solder in my opinion.

Mark

Keld
One of the downsides with crimping is, to make good crimps you need special tools, and they are quite expensive
:)

If I am building a home project, and I do not have the correct size lugs or terminals I'll crimp it and solder it silver solder. I agreed the preferred method is just the good crimp, however at home I don't own the best of crimping tools and sometime I don't have the correct wire awg terminal and lugs, so I am not stopping and waiting, it's not that big of a deal. However, I do not want the wires coming lose from the lugs and I am not dishing out the cash for some AMP crimpers.

At work that’s a manufacturing decision related to reducibility it always a crimp, but they normally select the lugs terminals that work with their equipment. That may not always the case in for fiber optics since we use fusion welds.
:)

I've found that for crimping Fastons, spade/fork connectors, ring connectors can be done without the super expensive ($100)crimpers but with good ratcheting crimpers that don't release until the crimp is right. I'm using ones from the Jameco catalog that were approx $15-$25. The results are very solid - I've tried to twist, pull, heat and bend them loose with out success. You need different ones for insulated vs non-insulated connectors so decide in advance which you like. I prefere the insulated so I can use Fastons that when in place leave no metal exposed. This is pricipally for mains and power supply connections.

pinkmouse said:
:att'n:Just on the safety aspects here, it is best practice to crimp, not solder connectors that are carrying mains voltage. If they get hot, the solder can melt and the wire will be free to move around inside, possibly causing a fire or electrocution hazard.:att'n:
That is why all power connections at breaker boxes and in appliances are crimped or screwed down according to electrical code in the US.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
sam9 said:
I'm going back to some old projects that used solder for power entry wiring and converting to crimping.

I'm glad to hear it! :)

Seriously, unless you have ever worked on a large amount of electrical kit, you don't appreciate quite how hot something like an intermittent connection in the live line can get.

It is always good practice, even with screw terminals , to go through everything electrical in your house, plugs, sockets, extension leads, etc, once a year and make sure all the connections are tight. Copper is soft enough to creep under pressure, and over a long period the tightest connection will loosen up.

Hi,

Crimping is for sure the best and reliable method for stranded wire. And for industrial use also much faster and cheaper than soldering and can be fully automated.

I’m missing one important point here: Before crimping don’t touch the bare conductor with your fingers after stripping. Your fingers always contain a small amount of acid and grease. This will weaken the crimped joint after time.

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.