eTracer -- a next gen curve tracer for tubes

The fact that it was linked by the eTracer owner to his site, doesn't make less valid.
I don't know what you mean by "more critical".

Perhaps you'd consider my review "critical" enough from someone who has designed and built his own analogue curve tracer, owns a uTracer (and helped refining some of the software functionality) as well as other 5 valve testers. I've been obsessed with valve tracing for nearly a decade :)

Could you trace a few precision resistors with low and high values? In theory you should get a straight line.

This would give more confidence in the precision of the device as i did not found any specifications besides max voltage and current.

Thanks,
Udo

Your Review is very positive, probably because that's how things are. But you never know... Maybe there are other, more critical opinions out there that would not be linked on the etracer website. I was just hoping to get a few more voices before jumping in.

Interesting world we live in. If you genuinely like something, make sure you downplay it. Otherwise, you're either a fanboy or in with the manufacturer.
And if the manufacturer chooses to link to your review, somehow you lose credibility? Wow...

On the other hand, if you are a manufacturer and you perform a critical review of a competing product that you genuinely don't like (for technical/factual reasons), make sure to keep your criticism to yourself. Otherwise your critique will be viewed as your attempt to promote your own products by trashing the competitor.

Anyway. On curve tracers: Building a curve tracer that can draw a straight line when you test a resistor is trivial. Building a curve tracer that can safely test your tubes and gracefully deal with failure (i.e. without killing the user, the computer it's attached to, or itself) is a completely different ballgame. That's where the challenge is. For home brew curve tracers, that's where I'd look. Has the manufacturer characterized what happens when the tube has a grid short or you insert a shorting plug in the socket, etc.

And, no. I'm not in cahoots with the manufacturer. I also don't make or sell a competing product. I am providing my opinion as-is, where-is with no warranties, neither formal nor implied. Use at your own risk. Void where prohibited by law.

Tom

Interesting world we live in. If you genuinely like something, make sure you downplay it. Otherwise, you're either a fanboy or in with the manufacturer.
And if the manufacturer chooses to link to your review, somehow you lose credibility? Wow...

That's not at all what I wanted to say. I feel like someone twisted my words around. There's nothing wrong with saying that something is good if you think it's good.

I was simply trying to ask if there were more opinions out there, maybe some comments addressing not only the great things but also some points that people do not like about the etracer. But I guess it's easier to just shut up, buy one, and then see for myself.

Anyway. On curve tracers: Building a curve tracer that can draw a straight line when you test a resistor is trivial. Building a curve tracer that can safely test your tubes and gracefully deal with failure (i.e. without killing the user, the computer it's attached to, or itself) is a completely different ballgame. That's where the challenge is. For home brew curve tracers, that's where I'd look. Has the manufacturer characterized what happens when the tube has a grid short or you insert a shorting plug in the socket, etc.

Tom

From the pictures of the curve tracer i doubt that it would pass EU legislation (Low Voltage directive).

The importer in the EU could get in big trouble if something bad happens.

But hey, this is do-it-yourself, and the importer is the end user....

I am more interested in the technical details, and if this curve tracer can trace a resistor and to which precision. 10%, 1% 0.1% and what current resolution? It is not easy to get a straight line from a resistor at 1mV and 750 Volt, but that depends on your defintion of straight line.

I am definitly not interested in criticising a reviewer, but a simple test if the results are plausible would be great.

Thanks,
Udo

Last edited:
a 100K resistor and a 1K resistor are used to calibrate the unit (low current and high current). and of course they trace as a flat line. i still do not understand the logic or the sentiment here... my advice is you really don't need one. you got it figured out.

but for those interested in an affordable and easy to use dsp tube tracer, the etracer might just be what you are looking for?! i love mine.

i bought mine almost immediately after i heard about it. the dual high voltage supplies sold me immediately. it was simple to put together and use.

i built the industrial tube testers for new sensor and have been involved with the QC and failure analysis of roughly 8 million tubes over an 11 year period of time. i know how to test tubes. i don't need a curve tracer to do my work but every now and then i get a weird anomalous situation, and chris' little gadget is a fabulous tool.

i don't give a crap about matching tubes, don't need em and never will. but if you are into that nonsense, you will love it.

Guys,

I own Ronald's uTracer, a wartime German Funke W20, a military Russian Kalibr L3-3 and an American Hickok tester. The uTracer gets the most use next to the Funke W20. I have used both since 2013. The Russian L3-3 is a backup. I have no use for the Hickok - I don't know why it's in my collection :)

I test and match tubes a lot as I buy them in bulk for my work. My work revolves around guitar amps, tube hifi and studio gear. So the tubes I test are pretty common tubes unlike radio/tv/jukebox stuff. Once in while I do have a need to test some uncommon tube types and most times I prefer a visual feedback and the curve trace do tell me a few things about the tube under test, besides for matching regimes.

For many years I have been eyeing over the Amplitrex AT1000 as an upgrade, but the price tag kept climbing and just wasn't justified for a small business like me. When I switched over to Chris' eTracer just early this year, it was a dream come true. Extended testing voltage, beefier heater supplies and better GUI was the plus for me.

I always didn't have confidence in a power tube if I couldn't measure it in its typical operating range - e.g. 6L6GC/EL34, etc power tubes in the 400V to 500V and 6550/KT88 in the 600V range. So I was glad that the eTracer filled that need. The eTracer PCB is a modern very up-to-date design and already operational and most of all CALIBRATED when delivered to you - your part is just required to put the various modules together (PSU, casing, etc) and wiring up the tube sockets on the top panel. That way there's less chance of DIYer mistake and troubleshooting.

Software wise, Chris constantly takes feedback from users and improves it. In fact features are added every few weeks and everyone has gotten accustomed to downloading updates. The software is also very responsive and there's less wait time between tests - I've experienced annoying disconnections on the uTracer very often.

If you are not convinced, hang around the eTracer Facebook group and check out for yourself.
BTW, I am not affiliated to eTracer inventor nor his company, etc.

Mike.

Last edited:
I have a good number of tube testers in my collection; AVO VCM Mk IV, AVO VCM 163, Funke W20, TV2-A/U, Neuberger RPM 370 plus several others. All of these have gone into semi retirement after purchasing the etracer, so I guess you can tell how happy I am with my etracer.

The etracer is a fantastic piece of equipment! The support Chris offers is in a class of its own, and the software is regularly updated and improved. If you need (or just want) a modern tester that will tell you just about everything you could possibly want to know about your tubes, there is no need to look any further :)