Why need expensive soldering station?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an "expensive" soldering station - Atten AT315D high frequency soldering station with 150W soldering pen at around US$200. This is the MOST expensive soldering station that I ever bought because this can reach 350 degree C in less than 5 seconds. The high wattage is extremely useful when I am soldering ground lines with a big ground plate. It never fails me until one day, it is out of order after two years.

I sent it back to the factory but unfortunately they said my model is outdated and they don't have spare parts for it. What? No spare parts? I can see there are only resistors, capacitors and transformers inside, no rocket science at all! Can anyone tell me why there is no spare parts? What kind of high tech spare parts could be involved in a soldering station that makes it beyond ability to repair?

Yet, after researching for some time, I found US$200 is not the most expensive soldering station. Weller models can be as expensive as US$1200! Why do we need such an expensive soldering station? Who needs it?

What is a digital soldering station?
What is an analog soldering station?

Last edited:
The heater failed probably, ebay has a big variety of them. You'll have to pay attention to if one is using a thermocouple or RTD for temperature sensing, they aren't compatible with each other.
If heater didn't fail and you still have voltages on transformer outputs then the triac that is used to switch the heater rapidly on/off might have failed. It is unlikely the controller has suffered any damage.

I own and have used a Metcal MX5210 RF type soldering iron that heats up to 360 within 30 Seconds ready for use complete with chisel and flat paddle bits plus a Metcal MFR1351 de-soldering station with vacuum heated de-soldering iron and assorted bits from 1mm to 4mm..

No change out of £1600 ($2205 US) and that was 5 years ago.
I would not use anything less as a professional.

The scenario with my AT315D was I can't turn it on (I checked the fuse already). Nothing happened when I turned on the switch, no output voltage to the soldering pen. I didn't ask the factory to send it back to me because I am totally upset with their support. Eventually, I purchased a Weller WSD71 75W at around US$90.

I am just curious to know why the factory that design and built the soldering iron can't repair it. What kind of esoteric technology or spare parts are there? Will not purchase anything from Atten anymore.

I own and have used a Metcal MX5210 RF type soldering iron that heats up to 360 within 30 Seconds ready for use complete with chisel and flat paddle bits plus a Metcal MFR1351 de-soldering station with vacuum heated de-soldering iron and assorted bits from 1mm to 4mm..

No change out of £1600 ($2205 US) and that was 5 years ago.
I would not use anything less as a professional.

Yours look like a multi-purpose re-work station rather than a soldering station. I'm not sure who is going to spend US$1200 and above for a soldering station that would melt some solder and put them back on the circuit board. What kind of technology and theory is there while a $10 soldering iron can do it other than it is quicker, temperature more stable, higher wattage etc?

I use an IR flat bed and radiator to remove and replace BGA devices. That controls the PCB temperature and brings it up to 160C slowly as not to bend anything then the top heater heats the chip up to melt the solder underneath it. I remove the BGA, remove the PCB solder with a wide bit and leave to cool. The new BGA is placed in an anti static holder, prepared with self clean flux and with a stainless steel stencil over the pads I fill the pads with the correct size solder balls and melt them into place. Remove the BGA chip from the holder when cold, check the lands for solder. Repeat the heating process on the motherboard with the new BGA in place, when hot enough I then apply heat to the BGA chip and watch it settle into place.
That is why I have an Infra Red heater for the PCB's. As the temperature and timing is controlled, I can successfully re-ball GPUs from Nvidea video boards with success.

OK, we know now a good soldering station can last longer, do the job better but I am curious to know: -

1. What are the technologies inside that make it so expensive?
2. Does the price difference between a US$2200 and US$90 soldering station justify for its abilities?
3. What would be the most costly parts in a soldering station that makes it so expensive?
4. What are digital and analog soldering stations?

For those tube lovers, look at this thread stating EU is going to ban valves on Jan 1st 2019. Valves cannot be compared with tungsten light bulbs in volume, banning valves would not gain much. Besides, are valves so environmental unfriendly and danger? Further discussions to be in the following thread, not this one.
EU to ban vacuum tubes from 1st January, 2019

OK, we know now a good soldering station can last longer, do the job better but I am curious to know: -

1. What are the technologies inside that make it so expensive?
2. Does the price difference between a US$2200 and US$90 soldering station justify for its abilities?
3. What would be the most costly parts in a soldering station that makes it so expensive?
4. What are digital and analog soldering stations?

1. No idea
2. Maybe
3. Essentially the same question as 1.
4. No idea.

All I know is Weller is good.
I only use Weller exclusively.
They never let me down.

Metcal use an RF generator to heat the tip, this approach is considerably more costly than the traditional heating element in the shaft. I'm not sure they're the only ones using such an approach, Hakko may well have their own version of this. Since the heating occurs in the bit itself rather than some distance away along the shaft, temperature control is far better.

Another respected manufacturer is JBC - they also claim vastly improved temperature control compared to traditional kinds of irons, not sure how they do it but they're not using RF.

If you do a lot of soldering you'll likely be concerned about bit life, JBC soldering stations sense the presence of the iron in its stand and lower the temperature to prolong tip life. Here is their list of reasons for why to spend more on their brand - http://www.jbcsoldering.cn/pages/87

Cheap tools suck!!! You get what you pay for when it comes to tools.
That said I've used 2-300dollar Weller and Hakko for 10+ years and they are built to last. Just replace tips every two years or so. At work we have high-end stations, but in all honesty the realtively cheap stations from reputable brands are just fine for most advanced hobby work.
I think the Hakko is the most comfortable, but the Weller a little better keeping the tip hot. They are both 80watts I think.

I bought a temperature controlled soldering station by ERSA in the 1980ies. Don't remember how much it was. Replacing the soldering tips form time to time kept it alive - until a year or so ago one wire in the umbilical cable broke. I called ERSA for a replacement cable. No way, they told me to buy the entire soldering iron, which today is called ERSA 0810CDJ and costs floppy EUR 65!!! At least, there's a replacement for the iron still available today.

Does anyone know where from I could source silicone insulated cable of 4 x 0.75 mm²?

Best regards!

Any cheap 30-40 watt pencil iron and my Pace solder sucker and a hot air gun and I'm ready! Oh, and an old stainless steel antenna shaft ground to a point ~8 in. long.. ;)

Me too.

I was absolutely horrified last week to find I got a dry solder joint.
The solder was around the lead wire but not touching it.
I guess I hadn't quite been touching the lead as well as the pad when I attempted to solder it.
Luckily the lead hadn't been touching the via wall and the fault showed up on test.

I have been known to totally miss soldering a lead but a dry joint is extremely rare for me. Oh well, be more careful in the future.

Metcal use an RF generator to heat the tip, this approach is considerably more costly than the traditional heating element in the shaft. I'm not sure they're the only ones using such an approach, Hakko may well have their own version of this. Since the heating occurs in the bit itself rather than some distance away along the shaft, temperature control is far better.

Another respected manufacturer is JBC - they also claim vastly improved temperature control compared to traditional kinds of irons, not sure how they do it but they're not using RF.

If you do a lot of soldering you'll likely be concerned about bit life, JBC soldering stations sense the presence of the iron in its stand and lower the temperature to prolong tip life. Here is their list of reasons for why to spend more on their brand - JBC Soldering Tools - Stations, Rework, Hot Air, Handpieces, Irons, Cartridges and tips

I think the Atten AT315D is also using RF but they call it high frequency soldering station. What makes it difficult to repair? Is the RF module very expensive so people are selling those RF soldering station at such a high price?

It is understandable a good soldering station helps to do better job but why they can cost as much as US$2200? Do they contain rocket science?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.